A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

We're nearly done with the payments, and I only see 5 left unpaid on the list.

I have updated the spreadsheet with all payments, and have started to gather addresses and organize what will get shipped where.

FET matching is running a little behind, but is progressing well. I will be focusing on getting the USA and Asia orders shipped to the distributors, since there is an extra step in those orders. Next I will ship out all the Canadian orders myself, and if I still haven't got a EU volunteer by then, I will have to ship all those myself as well after the Canadian ones have shipped.

I'll be posting a spreadsheet of the mosfet matches in the next little while so people can see where things stand.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Owen

I would be willing to act as the EU distributor for you, I'm based in the UK so using the Royal Mail should keep postage down to a reasonable level.

I have bought several group buys from you and forwarded items on for you in the UK, but appreciate you may prefer to use someone with a higher profile (posts more than once a year!) and who has organised group buys.

Anyway the offer is there.

Regards

Michael

I, too, haven't been involved in in organising a group buy (is never too late...). I don't know about our posting charges being resonable but I can supply a price list. For example, accorging to this, 200gr costs for Zone 1 (most European countries)

Priority B
2,64 eur, non-registered
5.14 eur, registered

Priority A
2,86 eur, non-registered
5,36 eur, registered
5,06 eur, express
7,56 eur, registered express

I guess, it's best for an exprerienced one to handle this but if none steps forward, count me in.

Regards
Savvas

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Michael and Savvas,

Thanks for stepping up and volunteering on this. What I think might be best is if we split the workload for Europe between the two of you which would keep the quantities reasonable.

UK - 10 shipments done by TrickyMicky
UK - 9 shipments done by Savvas
USA - 10 shipments done by MisterRogers
ASIA - 8 shipments done by qusp
Canada - 6 shipments done by opc
Main Distribution - 4 shipments done by opc

Shipping 10 items should not be an excessive burden on any of the volunteers, and should be the sort of thing that can be done in an evening if you're organized.

As promised before, each volunteer will get their PCB and a single quad of matched fets for free in exchange for their assistance.

The above looks like a very solid plan to me, and I'll keep everyone in the loop on how things are proceeding.

Cheers,
Owen

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Looks like all the payments are more or less in, give or take one or two who don't look like they'll pan out.

That might mean you get a board after all Magsy :)

I ran into a hitch with the matching test setup that was resulting in some misleading measurements, so there is a small setback as a result. I traced the problem, back to a faulty multimeter that was giving an accurate reading, but was loading the very sensitive G-S connection throwing everything off by a small amount.

Nonetheless, I've got it fixed, and I'm now getting very similar results to my first test setup, but this setup controls for temperature much more effectively.

I'll be posting the updated results in the following spreadsheet for anyone interested in taking a look at what a large lot of mosfets looks like in terms of matching :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnMLwB9mdXl2dFhMTGJEY0NqX2hZOHpROFlmaTU3V1E#gid=0

I got back through 40 devices in a day, so I should be ready to ship everything out at the end of this week if I can maintain that pace.

I'll post some pictures of the test setup as well sometime tomorrow for anyone interested.

Cheers,
Owen

haha yeah I had that, thats why I ended up using the difference amp in the end because it had such high input impedance it didnt load it.

so guys I guess its time to see if anyone else is interested in Zfoils, sorry Hirez69, didnt find the PM till I saw your post. for now there is only a few people who have contacted me, I would prefer to have a few more people to make it worthwhile.

so what else are we going to try to GB to get the price down, any consensus on caps etc?

yes Do I know, but 4 people did not really constitute much of a group buy so i'm posting here. i'm running auricap 4.7uf bypassed with 0.1uf Vcap CuTF and that is what I would intend to replicate, maybe a change on the auricap for something different as they have changed their format these days anyway, so I cant easily get the same caps, but I dont really feel there is a better class of bypass cap than the CuTF, Duelunds are just too insanely priced and way too physically huge

yes Do I know, but 4 people did not really constitute much of a group buy so i'm posting here. i'm running auricap 4.7uf bypassed with 0.1uf Vcap CuTF and that is what I would intend to replicate, maybe a change on the auricap for something different as they have changed their format these days anyway, so I cant easily get the same caps, but I dont really feel there is a better class of bypass cap than the CuTF, Duelunds are just too insanely priced and way too physically huge

I'm good with Auricap, I use them often and like them. I never tried the Vcap CuTF though... I was planning on using a 0.01uF as bypass for another project but never did it...

How many of those Vcap CuTF 0.1uF would we need (Is it 4x for balanced out?). They're not cheap @ over 120$ ea but I do understand they are totally amazing! Would those Russian Teflon be good as well? Never tried those either...

Thanks
Do

Hi, this whole project sounds extremely interesting.
I've started at page 1 and then quickly skipped to the end, I see there is a group buy going on ( is it still?) and I'm worried to be missing out, so sorry for a question I could have answered myself by reading the whole thread. I'm just scared I'm not gonna be fast enough :D

So, would someone be kind enough to answer these?
-Are the PCBs still available?
-How much is a PCB?
-How much would it cost, to put it all together?

Thanks very much, I'm back to reading... :)

Added myself and a quick reference about the GB

Siliconray RE3220WH Enclosure GB
See post #1005 for details. We need a minimum of 20 units to make this enclosure GB possible.

qusp = 1
hochopeper = 1
opc = 1
pinnocchio = 1
woresseo = 1

Is the potential GB for the enclosure dead? I would also be interested - but seems long way to reach the min qty of 20

Best Regrads
Søren

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.