A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Algar_emi

sounds to me like you had what appears to be the ESS having some sort of lock struggling fit with the pll struggling to have enough margin. I dont know what it is, but what you described sounds similar to what has happened to me when the dac cannot lock to the clock, but also fails to mute. its happened to me a couple of times, both with ackodac and with buff II, so its not an issue with the dac board I dont think, more the receiver in the dac chip.

its happened to me when the fridge started up in the middle of the night; I presume there was a large ripple on ground, which was passed through the MCU connection to my mac mini

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regalx1
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 2
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x1 + fets x 1
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets
32. Regland x 2
33. flocchini x1
34. hirez69 x2 + fets x 2 (for BIII)
35. Reenberg x 1 + fets
36. ed linssen X1+fets (for BIII)
37. tehrkn x 1 + fets
38. slartibartfasst x1
39. misterrogers x 2 + fets (for BIII)
40. lwif x 1 + fets (for BIII) (I know fets are not available, let's that as a wish)
41. Horio x 1
42 . CeeVee x1 for BIII
43. Eternalightwithin x2 + fets for BIII. (Waiting list)? ;-(
44. atom6422 x 1 + fets
45. blitz x2 for BIII and fets if avail...
46. BDL x 1
47. outriding x2 (PCB) + x1 FETs if available
48. yoke x 3 + 3 x fets
49. meintan X1 +fets (for BIII)
50. necplusultra x 2 + fets (for BIII)
51. johnwmclean x 2 + fets (for BIII)

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regalx1
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 2
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x1 + fets x 1
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets
32. Regland x 2
33. flocchini x1
34. hirez69 x2 + fets x 2 (for BIII)
35. Reenberg x 1 + fets
36. ed linssen X1+fets (for BIII)
37. tehrkn x 1 + fets
38. slartibartfasst x1
39. misterrogers x 2 + fets (for BIII)
40. lwif x 1 + fets (for BIII) (I know fets are not available, let's that as a wish)
41. Horio x 1
42 . CeeVee x1 for BIII
43. Eternalightwithin x2 + fets for BIII. (Waiting list)? ;-(
44. atom6422 x 1 + fets
45. blitz x2 for BIII and fets if avail...
46. BDL x 1
47. outriding x2 (PCB) + x1 FETs if available
48. yoke x 3 + 3 x fets
49. meintan X1 +fets (for BIII)
50. necplusultra x 2 + fets (for BIII)
51. johnwmclean x 2 + fets (for BIII)
52.deanoUK x 1 + fets (for BIII)

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Sorry for my long absence on this thread, things have been busy over the summer and this fell off my radar for the past few months.

I revised the PCB after getting feedback from bigpandahk but opted not to add the digital connector to the board for the BIII as it interferes with the existing connector for the BII.

Users with the BIII can easily solder a pair of wires for the digital inputs if they choose to use them, but I'm guessing most will not.

I've generated the gerbers for this board and sent it off to the PCB fab people this afternoon. They will be reviewing the gerbers tomorrow and fabrication will take one week, so I should have boards in hand by mid week next week.

I have ordered a total of 70 boards which means everyone on the list at this point will be getting a board, and there will be a few extra if there are stragglers.

The final board price will be $25 each as my board shop has upped their prices a little since last time.

Shipping will vary depending on where people are, but I will ask for a volunteer from Europe, one from the USA, and one from Asia to ship in their local areas. I will ship all boards destined for Canada.

I will cover the cost of shipping the appropriate number of boards to each volunteer, and they in turn will handle shipping for everyone in their area. That means each volunteer will need to calculate shipping costs, collect shipping totals via Paypal, and ship out the boards to people in their area.

In exchange for this assistance, each volunteer will get their board for free, and they will get to share in the joy of making this GB possible as I definitely don't have the bandwidth to pack and ship 70 parcels on my own.

Please let me know on this thread if you would like to volunteer. It is imperative that you understand the great deal of work it will be to do this, and I reserve the right to be choosy with who I pick. Anyone who has run a GB in the past is a shoe in if they are interested.

Again, sorry for the delay on this whole project, and hopefully people have hung in there long enough to still be around when these show up!

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• OPC D1 V1 FINAL 2.pdf
    115 KB · Views: 190
right, so whos doing the fets? its not me, I gave up telling people there were no more available after 10 times. I have a limited number and they are all spoken for long ago; at least 3-4 times that amount of people again requested them after I said no more …

So opc if you want to send me Asia/Australasia PCBs, Chris and I will make sure it gets done. but only the fets I have done and PCBs, no kits, the parts should really be done centrally anyway, as a separate GB; with this number of people the pricing should be pretty good.

for this number of people its going to be a pretty mammoth effort to VDS and gM match fets at operating point, good luck =)

oh I could do some keratherm red isolation pad sets if anyone is interested

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Alright, so we've got two volunteers out of a possible three:

USA - MisterRogers - Has previously done a GB and knows how to poke fun at qusp! That's two pluses in my books.

Asia / Australia - qusp - No worries here either, so that's confirmed.

Europe - ?

As for the mosfets, I'll mull it over, as I might be able to dedicated some time to this. I already have the set up to do it, so I'll see if I can dedicated a few extra days to matching fets. They won't be cheap, however, since it's at least an hour per set in overall time plus the cost of the parts. My count is 37 quads of fets which means I would need to order a rail of 250 pcs to get enough good matches.

Cheers,
Owen

right, so whos doing the fets? its not me, I gave up telling people there were no more available after 10 times. I have a limited number and they are all spoken for long ago; at least 3-4 times that amount of people again requested them after I said no more …

So opc if you want to send me Asia/Australasia PCBs, Chris and I will make sure it gets done. but only the fets I have done and PCBs, no kits, the parts should really be done centrally anyway, as a separate GB; with this number of people the pricing should be pretty good.

for this number of people its going to be a pretty mammoth effort to VDS and gM match fets at operating point, good luck =)

oh I could do some keratherm red isolation pad sets if anyone is interested

Hi Qusp

Please count me for two sets of keratherm red isolation pad.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.