A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1

Removing myself, since I am doing p2p

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone here who would be willing to take on the rather daunting task of distributing these boards? I'm pretty much ready to order the panel, but both my wife and I are not up for more shipping and labelling of packages after just having finished the order for The Wire amps.

I would basically like to ship the entire batch in one shot to someone, and have them handle the payment collection and shipping. In exchange for this, I can offer up a few free boards, a free kit, or possibly a free kit of one of my other projects. If you're not capable of soldering, I could offer up a free assembly or anything along those lines.

If someone is willing to volunteer for this, it will get the ball rolling on these boards much much faster than it otherwise would.

If you volunteer, please understand that it is a good amount of work, and a decent amount of money is on the line, so it needs to be someone trustworthy, and preferably someone who has experience with group buys.

Since these are boards only, the shipping is usually all done via lettermail in padded envelopes, which is both low cost and fairly quick, and doesn't require paperwork for customs.

Let me know and hopefully we can get this show on the road.

Regards,
Owen

well if its boards only and my location isnt a deal breaker i'll do it, i've just finished packing the LPUHP kits bar cutting the keratherm so i'm good as long as its straight forward boards, dont have time for the full kits etc, someone else can handle that if they desire that.

I can perhaps test some more of the fets and arrive at a few sets, but no promises there and I dont want to get bogged down with that like last time, that was a nightmare.

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1

I add a set of fets in my order. Thanks

I can handle North America (Canada USA) Possibly more without issues as long as it does not cost me something... ;)

Just PM me.
Do

sure all good, can split it or whatever, my extra fets can come with the boards (and that other board perhaps mate?) to save on shipping (i'll throw in for shipping) I was umming and ahhing about getting the board as i'm pretty covered for IV, but I do still of everything prefer this IV stage. getting it basically free bar the effort would push it over to definite. then i'll have no excuse but to build up a fully custom 'powerdac' 2 box case to fit it all in

i'll leave it up to opc though, i'm good to go now that this is done

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you guys split the work like that it wouldn't be half bad, and I'd be more than happy to send each of you the correct number of boards.

I'll double check everything and let you know. I'd say we could tackle this within the next three weeks, which is when I should have the boards.

Regards,
Owen

If you guys split the work like that it wouldn't be half bad, and I'd be more than happy to send each of you the correct number of boards.

I'll double check everything and let you know. I'd say we could tackle this within the next three weeks, which is when I should have the boards.

Regards,
Owen

If Qusp is ok with this, I'm ok for North America (Canada USA). It is a go for me.

Ciao!
Do

Owen, do you have a timeline in mind for a drop dead date on claiming a pcb from this round?

I'm interested and have spent a few hours reading through this thread so far and want to be sure I can commit before just putting my name on the list.

Is the latest schematic and and bom basically those from the first page of the build thread?

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hochopeper,

Not really a drop dead date per se, but I'm counting 24 boards on that list which means I'll probably order 30-35 boards, but that depends on pricing. If there's a price drop at 50 boards I might just order 50 and cross my fingers that there will be more interest.

Either way, I'll have a few surplus, but sometimes they get snatched up quickly and sometimes they just hang around.

I'll set one aside for you either way, and that should give you some time to get caught up on reading everything.

As for the schematic, the one on the build thread is the most up to date. The zener diodes are wrong, and I'll be fixing that on this revision of the board. There are also many parts that are DNP and things like the output coupling caps are intended to be one or the other but not both.

Overall, it's an easy build, and pretty cheap too.

Cheers,
Owen

ok ok, This is the IV for me. Put me down for one pcb via qusp.

Only reason for hesitation was that I don't currently have a I-out dac. It's in my long term plans and I have now managed to read my way through ~20pages of this thread and ~30 pages of the build thread, the things I do when I'm procrastinating eh.

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets

well perhaps if someone posts a thread in the GB section proper we'll make the 50 from new people that dont check this thread religiously like those here so far =)

just a few observations (not demands it works well as is) can I plead for a slightly larger section for the output caps, a bit more space for the PSU output caps so that a lower profile part can be used and maybe a tiny bit more room around the PSU heatsinks so that more than that one model can be used? they get a little toasty in idle when ambient is warm and that would be easy fixed by using something like the type used on the Sigma11/22 PSU

_s11_assy.jpg

so yeah i'm down with splitting the work with Do; he can do north America and i'll do ROW, or split down the middle, pcb only wont be pricey even from here. Since theres only a few people wanting fets i'll see what I can do, since i've got easy enough left here and will have to do it for mine. perhaps I can get a hand from hochopeper and i'll work out an active heating arrangement for the heatsink so I can do it at any time of the day. but still no promises, we'll see where i'm at, I can probably slightly loosen my matching requirements and find some sets in what Ive already tested tbh

getting the heatsinks again might be possible, but tbh i've had really bad luck getting them to reply to anything at all this year, so hesitate to recommend it.

since this IV really dominates and limits the choice of enclosure, what we could perhaps do is decide on a smallish power amp enclosure from siliconray (just a suggestion/option) and get a customized case made, that has a nice thick floor and heatsinks that can be well thermally coupled to the base.

thoughts?

Last edited:
perhaps I can get a hand from hochopeper

getting the heatsinks again might be possible, but tbh i've had really bad luck getting them to reply to anything at all this year, so hesitate to recommend it.

since this IV really dominates and limits the choice of enclosure, what we could perhaps do is decide on a smallish power amp enclosure from siliconray (just a suggestion/option) and get a customized case made, that has a nice thick floor and heatsinks that can be well thermally coupled to the base.

thoughts?

Happy to help out mate, if you even want to split the pcbs and I'll pack/send a bunch and you can do a different set, depends on qty's etc I'm sure we can work out something that keeps the workload reduced.

I'd be keen on heatsink rather than enclosures at this stage. Though I'm really trying not to divert much money to this project until I have a DAC to go with it ...

well i'm the opposite, getting another heatsink this size would require getting a custom enclosure anyway, as fitting 2 of these beasts plus all the extras that make up a modern dac in a case just isnt going to happen, so may as well get a custom case that can do the heatsinking. any format that sinks the heat to panels that have external surfaces is good in my book, this thing can get pretty toasty

to be clear, before there is more people asking for fets, i'm not keen, I will not be doing another set to cater for the GB like last time. but the people already on the list asking for fets might be lucky

Last edited:
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2
25, Jean-Charles X1

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.