A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New DI for Ess9018

Hi Guys,

After having messed around for quite a while with several variations of Nelson's D1 with various modern DACs, I've finally come up with one that I think is worthy of being posted for everyone to use.

I've combined the excellent transconductance of a power mosfet, with the low distortion of a JFET buffer to get to the circuit below. It's basically a low impedance D1, with a different mosfet, and a B1 buffer in place of the old mosfet based buffer. You could probably call it a D1B1.

The circuit below provides about 2 VRMS at 0dBFS output when used with a ES9006 run in stereo mode. Performance is superb, and all the measurements are attached. THD+N is 0.000515% (-105.5dB) at 1kHz -8dBFS. This is without matched fets, and a seriously kludged home-made PCB, which means it can be made better with a decent implementation. Even the way it is, I think it sounds excellent.

This circuit could easily be adapted to work with any DAC, and provide almost any gain needed. The gain was set so low to minimize voltage swing at the DAC output.

The source of the mosfet sits at 1.65V which is what the DAC wants to see, and the drain sits at a little over 9 volts which allows direct coupling of the B1 input to the drain. Gain can easily be increased by increasing the value of R1, R2, R3, and R4 while maintaining the same ratio.

I'll be starting a PCB layout with this circuit and the ES9018 DAC which should provide some pretty incredible performance.

Anyone feel like helping with the digital side of the DAC?

Cheers,
Owen

I want to connect to my Buffalo II converter (Ess9018) your new D1. I ask if I can use the I/V converter also for ESS9018 or are necessary the modification. I saw that she has also designed another schematic I / V when using the Q1: Q4 mosfet FQA32N20C, new version D1 Pass labs for Ess. Which pattern would you recommend to use

Virginio

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Virginio,

Please follow the link the post #741 for the build thread. The first post in the build thread has a link to the final schematic which is the best version to use with the Buffalo II DAC.

Best of luck with your build, and let me know what you think when you get it done.

Regards,
Owen

FS PCB and Parts .

Hi Gents ,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to offer this ,but I have an untouched kit for this build if anyone is interested . After a moment of clarity and a dose of reality ,I realise this project is way above my skill and understanding.

It seems a shame for it to sit here doing nothing . I ended up getting the young
DAC at a very reasonable price - the kit is from Owen .

Kind regards , Rich

PS, Also willing to trade for any parts for the Pearl 2 and B1 BOM .

spreadsheet

Ok, so I'm getting a 8 channel buffalo III for my multi-way horn system soon. I'll be needing to make 8 iv stages - possibly 16 when I get another Buffalo III to go multichannel! I plan to build an 'air-wired' monster on a BIG heatsink I picked up - should be enough for all the channels fets, regs and resistors....

In this age of austerity I'd like to re-use my collection of Lundahls as balanced/se converters.
I have 4 of Lundahl 1674 1:4 and 4 of Lundahl 9206 1:10. So, I'd like to adjust the circuit to suit various step-ups (or step-downs?) for various output levels for each of my drivers. I understand that there is a big range of output levels possible. What would be really great is a spreadsheet where I can play with the various resistor/psu voltage values vs output levels. I don't quite trust myself to do all the calculations. Could anyone help me with this?
thanks!
Maravedis

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Maravedis,

Sounds like an ambitious project to say the least. Unless you ramp down the power dissipation, running 8 channels is going to generate a lot of heat.

As for the gain, it's more or less independent of the supply voltage, and fully dependent on the resistor values. If you run the Buffalo III in 8 channel mode, you'll only get about 4mA p-p per channel of current output, as opposed to the 16mA p-p you would get in stereo mode. In a sense, that would work out perfectly with your 4:1 Lundahl transformers, as you'd be right back up to about 2VRMS output at 0dBFS, which is the same as the stereo version.

As for the 10:1 transformers, I suppose you could halve the resistor values to lower the gain by a factor of 2, and then use the 10:1 as step-up which would give you a little more output than the other setup, around 2.5VRMS.

The downside to this is that your output impedance will be higher than usual, at around 1500 ohms for the 4:1 version, and about 1800R for the 10:1 version. If you know that your amplifiers or preamp (whatever is next in the chain) has a high impedance input, then you'll be fine and it won't make a difference.

Rather than a spreadsheet, you're best to download LTspice and run some simulations. It's easy to use, and you can easily model in your transformers and check everything before you build it. If you start changing the resistor values, you'll need to keep an eye on power dissipation and what rail voltage gives you the desired idle current. I can send you the design file to get you started.

Regards,
Owen

yeah for 8 channels running as we have it, youll have about 200W and then another 200W for the second dac (plus whatever your power supply puts out). airwiring that mess will net you a pretty serious decrease in performance and you will have already taken a hit with only using 1 dac per channel and then another hit from the transformers.

ambitious is one word for it i guess

hot

Owen and qsup, thanks for your input!
The scale of a project has never put me off before...

I'm not worried about the output impedance as we are talking valve grid resistors here. But looks like I will have to lower the current a bit. The Time Has Come to bite the bullet and get to grips with LTspice. Deep breath. Owen, could you please post the LTspice file?

I'm unclear about what sort of a (subjective) performance hit I will get from not paralleling the ESS outputs - will just have to listen to various options I think. (and I need to evaluate the internal digital attenuator before I proceed too). But this is not for this thread I suppose.

I don't necessarily see why air-wiring (or perf board) is quite so inferior. 3d path lengths can be short and neat. Maybe I'm just naive, but its not a very complicated circuit is it? err..onthe other hand, anyone have a spare bunch of pcbs?

Another option I have is to use opamp ivs on some of the uncritical channels, and save the heat for the critical midrange/midbass. 4 channels would be more manageable.

thanks,
Maravedis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.