Clock upgrade for CD-Pro2m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I will be boxing my CD-Pro2m transport soon and I'm looking for information and opinions regarding the best possible upgrade for the CD-Pro2 master oscillator. What frequency, brand and type should I go for? I was planning to make the PSU for the clock myself.
Thanks,
Nic

i have connected a TENT DAC and slaved the CDPRO to the DAC, you can see on the image how to connect the clock to the drive ...

Attachments

• clock3.JPG
    clock3.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 225
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks DUC985,
I would like the clock-upgrade to improve the quality of the I2S and S/PDIF output of the transport. I already have a DAC to take it from there.
What is the frequency of the master oscillator on the Tentlabs DAC you are using?
Nice close-up photo. Not easy to understand the actual connections from the Tentlabs pages. Thansk for sharing!
Do you know if the resistor is always required or if it is only with the Tentlabs clock upgrades?
Thanks,
Nic

P.S. Out of ignorance: do you happen to be able to tell me what is the difference between XO and VCXO oscillators?
EDIT: A bit of of wiki made me understand that "VC" is for Voltage Controlled. Whatever that means in reality....

Last edited:
As i'm currently working in the US i do not remember the frequency and can't look it up for you.
I would recomment you looking into Elsos clock and try that one out.
I do not think that just swapping the xtal will lead to a better Audio performance. Acutally the CDPRO is no bad at all. Key is the power supply. I use for every supply a dedicated shunt regulated power supply.
CDMPRO spindel , electronics,
Display and also the DAC. The resistor is only needed if the voltage is at 5V level. The CDPRO requires a 3.3V signal and the resistor brings this down.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks DUC985,
I will be implementing high quality shunt regs all the way.
Does the output voltage of an xtal equal the supply voltage i.e. if I get an xtal that requires a 5V supply (like the tent XO's) then I will need the resistor with the CDPRO?
Thanks again,
Nic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.