USB DAC from 47 Lab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
47 Laboratory introduced two models in this year.

Model 4730 Midnight Blue is an FM tuner, and I have started a thread for it.

Model 4732 is a USB DAC belongs to the less expensive series "Shigaraki".
As we all know, 47 Lab always has something creative and original in its products, such as the OP-Amp Gain Card with a shortest feedback path, the DAC Progression operated in NOS mode, the Phono Cube with a zero-impedance input, and so on.

For this reason, I am curious about how 47 Lab designed the USB DAC.
The most uninteresting approach is getting the I2S from a USB receiver such as PCM2706 and feeding to TDA1543 in NOS mode. Perhaps it is the simplest way to build a NOS DAC, but this design is no good at the sound and nothing new on the whole.

On the other hand, I hope that 47 Lab introduced an innovative and simple USB solution other than those exhausted solutions proposed by Linn and Ayre.

I would like to know more about this USB DAC.
However, there is no information on this model on the Sakura Systems website so far. The official 47 Lab website (in Japanese) also has no word on the design of the USB solution and the inside of the DAC.
Any views and opinions are welcome.

The official page for the USB DAC: http://47labs.co.jp/4732.html

I guess PCM2706 / TDA1543 is indeed the simplest way to build a USB dac. As always (but often forgotten it seems) quality depends mostly on implementation. That's also why I'm hesitating to say this design can't work: I haven't seen, let alone heard, (m)any experiments with this design. I have no idea what is in this 47 Labs USB dac btw :)

I will listen to this USB dac tomorrow, I'll keep you posted (but I'm sceptical, considering the USB solutions I've heard so far (EMU0404, AMR CD-77 etc.).

If timing works out, I will be comparing this USB dac to the Ayre QB-9 (we are 47 Labs distributor in the Netherlands and also have a shop, for which we are still looking for a excellent computer-based audio solution).

You are right. No factor effected the sound quality is more important than implementation.

Yesterday, I have read an interview with Junji on a Chinese magazine. In the interview, Junji said the main feature of the this USB DAC is NOS, and no word is on the USB operation or so. That made me think this DAC is really a PCM2706/TDA1543 design.

Anyway, I am looking forward to your audition on this DAC (and the Ayre).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.