I2S from a PC, Firewire or ethernet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like a means of getting 24/192khz out of my PC. USB seems flawed, Firewire rectifies most of these problems, ethernet seems ideal. I have searched and searched for a cheap solution. I had heard of someone running their DAC from etherneet and cannot find the details. Can anyone guide me to a DIY design or commercially available product to get I2S fro a PC?

- squeezebox
- 192k ? where?
- usb flawed? huh?
- FW rectifies uhh?

how about some real issues, like latency, instead of creating some, like 192k...
If you dont like latency, get a firewire soundcard, the new ones.
- you know how to handle i2s?

"I would say that there are almost no documented cases where a properly dithered 16 bit 44.1 kHz file was audibly distinguishable from its higher bit resolution or sample rate source file."

Last edited:
- squeezebox
- 192k ? where?
- usb flawed? huh?
- FW rectifies uhh?

how about some real issues, like latency, instead of creating some, like 192k...
If you dont like latency, get a firewire soundcard, the new ones.
- you know how to handle i2s?

"I would say that there are almost no documented cases where a properly dithered 16 bit 44.1 kHz file was audibly distinguishable from its higher bit resolution or sample rate source file."

Thanks for the help. It is days like these when I wonder if I should even ask for help.

-Where? 192khz from my PC high rez files, most are 24/96.
-USB flawed, yep, flawed. If you do not see the limitations of USB vs Firewire for example or that the word "rectifies" can be used outside of power supplies, why are you mocking me?
-Yes I know how to handle I2S... You hook up the wires to the I2S input of my DAC. OK?
-Why would you say I am crazy for wanting Firewire and then offer a Firewire solution?

So back to square one. I would like a USB/Firewire/Ethernet solution to get bit-perfect data to my DAC for under $100. Is this clear enough for the masses?

the need for 192k playback is as artificial as it gets.
Firewire is good, but only recently (~2006) .
USB is not good at all, flawed because cable is too short (or what:p)

So you dont want to use 192k to oversample in-the-box, I guess the need is artificial. FW gives 192k tho (if the chipset is good). Cheaper than 200usd is possible.
I don know no modding guide for such soundcard but Im about to mod one myself , I just took it apart today. I2s wont be a simple thing, 'wires' arent good for this at all.

USB 1.1 with native drivers goes only to 16/48. USB 2.0 has no public drivers and the proprietary ones go to 24/96. Issues as high jitter are not uncommon.
Ethernet without a dedicated driver... I don't know if it is a good idea.

The only "cheap" solution is FW. Now, where do you get those 24/192 files is everybody's guess (I personally have a hunch that are only upsampled files).

envy24 has i2s input

I2S input I2S output all over the place.

All the inputs and outputs are 'slaved' you could say together, in that they will all switch to work at one sample frequency - so you cant for example have an input working at 96khz and an output going at 192.

It's easy enough to find the I2S clocks on the cards with the ENVY chips, I've done it with great success.

I buffer the I2S with some logic , although this is for protection of the sound card more then anything else, the DAC/ADCs I've built are housed inside the PC case.

The buffer has a decent output current so I'd imagine it'd be fine driving cables over a distance.

wow... this i2s thing looks to be the next step in diy edutainment... How plausible, all these manufacturers are dumb, we just wire i2s, hell, saw it in some comic book, batman did it :fight: .

Besides, how old is that envy24? 8-10 yr? Using desktop PC with 40cm wires for i2s? Thats a joke or something? I made a hole in my wall , even my wall is wider than 40cm.

Last edited:
wow... this i2s thing looks to be the next step in diy edutainment... How plausible, all these manufacturers are dumb, we just wire i2s, hell, saw it in some comic book, batman did it :fight: .

Besides, how old is that envy24? 8-10 yr? Using desktop PC with 40cm wires for i2s? Thats a joke or something? I made a hole in my wall , even my wall is wider than 40cm.

If you are happy with the way the crap sounds from the stores, why are you on DIYaudio? OK cinic... I already have I2S from my PC with an ESI Juli@ soundcard and it is a rather noticable improvement over the S/PDIF. I was hoping to find a solution with an outboard PS. Maybe I should have asked if anyone knows how to mod a Juli@ for outboard power? Also, I2S lines in my set-up are 10cm. However, I did not notice an improvement over 20cm ones. The cables can be 100m long with the right buffer.

the need for 192k playback is as artificial as it gets.
Firewire is good, but only recently (~2006) .
USB is not good at all, flawed because cable is too short (or what:p)

So you dont want to use 192k to oversample in-the-box, I guess the need is artificial. FW gives 192k tho (if the chipset is good). Cheaper than 200usd is possible.
I don know no modding guide for such soundcard but Im about to mod one myself , I just took it apart today. I2s wont be a simple thing, 'wires' arent good for this at all.

48k, 96k, 192k, sound great when they are recorded that way. I have a few of these in high and low res and through the Juli@ straight I2S the high res sounds like vinyl without the scratches. The low res upsampled to 192k sounds bad in comparison.

I was hoping for an ethernet solution. I read about one here before in regards to the Buffalo DAC, but I cannot find it. If it only was going to cost me $100, I wanted one for my laptop too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.