Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hahaha fair call, OK looks like acko it is. looks like its quite involved and time comsuming for you to make all the modules and i'm sure they are excellent, but I would prefer to stuff something myself, more DIY; i'm sure you understand. I was more meaning if you were going to make something available as a project (not on mass, but more than one), but I reckon youve had your fill of that lately anyway. looks great but

Last edited:
thats what i'm talkin' about!! good work mate, I was actually going to ask about balanced output

I already tried a balanced output using 2 ES9022 DACs & inverting the I2S DATA signal into one DAC, then taking the R+/L+ from the analogue out of one DAC & R-/L- from the analogue out of the other DAC. I ran it into headphones wired for balanced input BUT it didn't seem to provide the 3dB increase in volume that I expected balanced operation should give. Was my approach wrong or am I missing something?

> Was my approach wrong ....

No.

> or am I missing something?

Yes.

Image that the output voltage of the IV converter sees a potential divider of say 300R and the impedance of your headphone.
And when you connect as balanced, each DAC only sees the whole of the 300R but only half of the headphone impedance.

Patrick

> I don't understand why is it so hard to get those ES9022. I found a North American retailer, but you need to order a minimum of 10 pieces at 4$ each.

I can tell you that I had to pay a lot more for my 10 pieces because of the postage charged by the UK distributor. The distributor is not here to serve DIY hobbyists, but manufacturers who want to use ESS ICs. And I suppose ESS is also not interested in selling you one or two pieces.

You can always start a Group Buy and see if anyone else might want one.

Patrick

I can tell you that I had to pay a lot more for my 10 pieces because of the postage charged by the UK distributor.

Is this Ismosys? When I was buying mine, I contacted them and asked if they would do normal postage rates. It was no problem, but the parts had to be bought via email, rather than the store.

In the end, I bought mine from LineOne Sales, as I was able to collect them in person when in Sheffield on business. They are diy-er friendly, and nice guys, although I think they would prefer one big order (a GB), rather than 100's of individual 1 or 2 piece orders.

An update to post #55.

Patrick

Attachments

• 110213 WM8804 s.JPG
    110213 WM8804 s.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 1,846
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.