Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone who has seen the datasheet give up the output DC offset numbers of the ES9022 or is that covered by NDA?

I've got a project that works with the WM8524 and was considering the other chips. However the AKM chip is going by the wayside as its output offset is too high for it to be DC coupled.

Guess I should talk to a North American rep...

I thought I should put this on record :

FAA, alias Arvin, asked me to get 100 pcs ES9022 for him. I got a quote from ismosys, together with some stuff that I wanted. He then asked me for a copy for the data sheet. I got mine under NDA, so I got him in direct contact with Olaf of ismosys. Olaf has not heard from Arvin since. In the meantime, I purchased my own requirements online at the ismosys site.

As such, I have no further dealings with FAA (Arvin) regarding ESS DACs, or else.

Patrick

Hi Spartacus,
I tried ordering an ESS9022 from them months back & they didn't have any in stock & didn't get back to me about ordering in - I eventually ordered them through Ismosys but find their postage charges high.

How does ordering through Ismosys work?? I registered an account, and for shipping options, it has a customer shipping option to enter a courier and account :confused:. How high was shipping for you, and how would i get a shipping quote before paying?

- Calvin

So I finally got my ES9022 going.
Oh, God. How nice !!!

I have been listened for four hours, and I still cannot decide whether it is better or worse than my (not too exotic) reference -- Meridian 508 modified.
It has better sound stages, but perhaps a tinny bit less sweet. Maybe I should play with the output filter a bit more.
For the money, it is unbeatable.

Photos tomorrow, if the sun comes out.

All credits to John for the tip. ;)

Patrick

PS I did not follow the datasheet straightly, as you would expect from me.

Last edited:
I told you Patrick - this DAC is a value for money find :) - not the best DAC in the worls spec-wise but it's sweet sounding nonetheless. Even sweeter when plugged into a modified HiFace USB 24/192 transport via I2S & driving headphones for instance :)

Let us know how you differed from the datasheet - I did too :)

Someone PM'ed me and asked a couple of technical questions about the chip.
There is next to no details in the datasheet other than the pin assignment and a typical application schematics.

For the little extra that I know, I am under NDA.
If you want to find out more, please contact your local agent and ask them to ask ESS.
That is how they want it, so that is how it has to be.

Anyone can afford the price of an ES9022, so there is no reason not to experiment.
Considering some of the effort that went into a TDA1543, I am sure this also deserves the same.

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.