Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)? - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2011, 06:14 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

I can get the new 9023 from a local distributor. If there is interest in group buy, let me know.
Old 26th June 2011, 06:22 PM   #192
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Great idea.
More people can then try out for themselves.

Patrick
Old 26th June 2011, 07:29 PM   #193
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

If anybody from EU needs few 9023s, PM me
Old 28th June 2011, 09:53 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Hello

I've received yesterday the data sheet for the ES9023

Looking at it and at the application diagram, page 7, they don't say a lot about implementation.

I presume that the xtal oscillator goes at the MCLK pin of the ES9023 ?

Which sound better between synchrone and asynchrone mode and how do we set it on the ES9023 chip ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan
Old 28th June 2011, 07:17 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Hi,
has anyone measured a DAC with 9022? Only measurements that could be found are those of uDAC V2 - and those are not very nice.

Thanks
Tomáš
Old 30th June 2011, 02:58 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

The THD measured less than .005% and the zero noise was <15uV on the first layout I did. I cannot yet measure signal to noise and dynamic range, need an upgrade to my analyzer.

Regards,
Dave
Old 12th July 2011, 10:25 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

Patrick

do you measure any difference In thd and noise between standard modules of receiver pcb with 12 MHz and DAC pcb with local 50 MHz XO shown Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)? and the same modules but receiver pcb fed with 12 MHz from 48 MHz XO at DAC pcb divided by 4
Old 9th September 2011, 01:33 PM   #198
diyAudio Member

I want to buy ES9023
Old 19th September 2011, 05:11 AM   #199
Alexium is offline Alexium  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

How much do they cost (ES9022, 9023)? I can't find a single online shop selling them.
There is a general consensus that Iout DACs (with proper output stage) outperform Vout ones (ceteris paribus). I don't know why that should be so, but still. Are these ES DACs competitive in comparison with equally priced Iout DACs?
Old 19th September 2011, 05:44 AM   #200
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
The price I heard was around $2. But there might be an even better sounding option available now from TI - the PCM51XX. Worth a listen anyway, especially with its 'low latency' filter engaged. Those parts are around the $2 mark too, potentially both are quite a bargain vis a vis sound quality per dollar spent.

The reason that Iout DACs might sound better is because the analog stages can be optimised rather than constrained by the process technology used for the rest of the IC.

Iout DACs of the latest generation are in general more expensive than Vout ones - probably for marketing reasons. Their volumes are lower but the perceived value is higher amongst audiophiles. You'll need to go back a few generations to find bargains in Iout DACs - I'm currently playing with TDA1387 and find that very much to my taste. Cheap too.

Hide this!Advertise here!