Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)? - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2011, 12:10 PM   #131
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidesd View Post
i did not do a side by side comparison but i m pretty confident that the acko dac was better to my ears. i m suppose to receive the new es9023 dac from acko so ill compare again when i get it.
Sure but in my experience, extra detail can often be the result of distortion - in this case perhaps the synchronous clock. As I said perhaps EUVL will give us his view on the change in sound between sync & asynch clocking with this DAC?

I'll be interested to hear your direct comparison

Quote:
yes i ve tried batteries without caps and did not found any significant differences.
Oh well!
Old 25th April 2011, 03:03 PM   #132
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post

Oh well!
yes sorry for the confusion, maybe i was a little to hasty making conclusions. Anyway, i ll have to look into it more carefully and come back with final results .
Old 25th April 2011, 03:15 PM   #133
leo is offline leo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
Great, Leo, I knew you were trying this - last we spoke about it was on Rockgrotto in June last year. Yes, interested in your comparison with the Buffalo - let us know when you've compared the two.

I don't use any RF filter on the outputs!

PS you should also try running the Tent XO from a LiFePo4 battery

PPS. slightly disappointed in the inmates here - I sent out 5 of these ES9022 DACs mounted & working - free with some of my modified Hiface units & not one person has bothered posting about it!
Hi John,

Yes, only tried a few things so far, I would say the Battery is far better than the Superteddyreg used with the ES9022, not tried many other options just yet.
For the output filter I tried 4n7 film caps but didn't like the results, it made the sound seem over smoothed over , actually more like TDA1543 with passive I/V
Main reason I mentioned TDA1543 earlier is because in a lot of ways the ES9022 reminds me of NOS using that chip, the ES9022 has more in the high's and low's though.

I tried the battery with the QA550 XO, it worked very well, both shunt reg and battery offered a worthwhile improvement over the stock LDO reg

Its very easy to post a few short impressions , its a shame you didn't get any feedback
I hope more will post, some more idea's etc what to try would be helpful. I've already tried Sanyo SEP on the AVCC pin bypassed with a 0.1uf smd pps cap but didn't like the results, I replaced it with a single 1uf MKT
Old 25th April 2011, 03:20 PM   #134
leo is offline leo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the tip regarding 45.1584MHz and divider, it will be interesting to compare against this simple set up. I'd rather try these different idea's before comparing against my modified BII and Legato
Old 25th April 2011, 03:23 PM   #135
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Hi John,

Yes, only tried a few things so far, I would say the Battery is far better than the Superteddyreg used with the ES9022, not tried many other options just yet.
For the output filter I tried 4n7 film caps but didn't like the results, it made the sound seem over smoothed over , actually more like TDA1543 with passive I/V
Main reason I mentioned TDA1543 earlier is because in a lot of ways the ES9022 reminds me of NOS using that chip, the ES9022 has more in the high's and low's though.
Yes, I tried some different output filters but in the end preferred it without any - I think the op-amp output stage is probably sufficiently bandwith limited?

Quote:
I tried the battery with the QA550 XO, it worked very well, both shunt reg and battery offered a worthwhile improvement over the stock LDO reg
Yep, & there may be more to be had with a separate clean PS to the clock (battery?)

Quote:
Its very easy to post a few short impressions , its a shame you didn't get any feedback
I hope more will post, some more idea's etc what to try would be helpful.
Indeed
Quote:
I've already tried Sanyo SEP on the AVCC pin bypassed with a 0.1uf smd pps cap but didn't like the results, I replaced it with a single 1uf MKT
My impressions too with SEP caps in this position!
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:04 PM   #136
2A3SET is offline 2A3SET  Canada
diyAudio Member

Can we feed 9022 with -3.3V instead of using internal negative vol generator?
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:27 PM   #137
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

No. No option to switch it off.

Patrick
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:39 AM   #138
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
I shall publish my WM8804 design (tailored to fit my ES9022 module) in about a month's time.

Patrick
Hi Patrick.
That was end of Jan. Any chance to see your interesting design (WM8804+ES9022/23) published now?
Old 23rd May 2011, 05:15 AM   #139
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

See post #55, 78, 88, 115, or you would like to see something else ?
Circuit is more or less standard datasheet, in stand alone mode.

The one shown in post #78 has a 12MHz Citizen X'tal and 15p mica caps.

The one in post #88 has a tailored ES9022 48MHz (Crystek XO), which is then divided by 4 to generate the 12MHz required by the WM8804.
So they both use the same XO.

Patrick

Last edited by EUVL; 23rd May 2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 24th May 2011, 12:00 PM   #140
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Patrick, your valuable contributions make you an important member of this forum. You're a fine designer, no doubt, but not everybody here are EE, i.e. me.
OTOH I'm always willing to learn from experienced members even if I'm not a digital expert at all.
I read the nice words you spent about this dac (post #121 "The ES9022 is a real steal. Even if it were just on par with the ES9008, it is already tremendous value for money at 1/10 of the cost and complexity. And we have here an example with no fancy power supplies, no discrete IV stage, no start-up P and configuration, .... Those who have not try really don't know what they are missing.") and the complete thread.
Hence I thought this must be a nice dac, simple enough for my (low) level of skillfulness.
I then tried to reverse engineer your boards (as you suggested in post #64 "There is enough information from the photos for any true DIYers to copy the layout and make their own PCB in a similar fashion, if they so wish.") and I drawn a schematic that should work, but unfortunately it's blank as many of the smd components (i.e. caps) didn’t show any value. As I also read on post #34 "PS I did not follow the datasheet straightly, as you would expect from me." and #130 "I do use an output filter. Value is a matter of taste. Datasheet value is OK. I do not use datasheet values for the other caps." I dared ask if you could tell us more, maybe publishing a complete schematic, if available.
I understand you're under NDA, but if you ask me “See post #55, 78, 88, 115, or you would like to see something else ?” my first reply can’t be different from “Yes, please!”.
Secondly I would ask to further describe the frequency divider (which flip-flop did you use?), which XO (Crystek CX3391 or better?), did you use a 0.1uF C0G cap at the S/PDIF input (pin 20) of the WM8804? (I couldn’t find any pic of the WM8804 board, but the copper side.)
I’m confident in a positive reply from you in order to help me and possibly other members interested in this nice design of yours.

Last edited by massimo; 24th May 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!