Cd transport suggestions please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am at present using an old Phillips 850 Mk as a digital out transport. Although it works reasonably well I want to change it for something better and preferably smaller. Having bought a JVC boom-box and taken the cd boards out to make a clone I have been surprised at the cost of machining the heavyweight chassis which seems to be necessary to make this work well. THere have also been several members who have had these transports go deado and as the source boombox is superseded I am hesitant to spend the required machining costs. Any ideas anyone on a suitable complete unit or mechanism? I am using a modified Chinese Crystal DAC with UTC A-21 transformers. I will probably update this within a year with a Sabre or whatever comes along in the near future. (I will NOT be using any form of PC/Mac and have no need for any storage facility.)

Many thanks.

I am at present using an old Phillips 850 Mk as a digital out transport. Although it works reasonably well I want to change it for something better and preferably smaller. Having bought a JVC boom-box and taken the cd boards out to make a clone I have been surprised at the cost of machining the heavyweight chassis which seems to be necessary to make this work well. THere have also been several members who have had these transports go deado and as the source boombox is superseded I am hesitant to spend the required machining costs. Any ideas anyone on a suitable complete unit or mechanism? I am using a modified Chinese Crystal DAC with UTC A-21 transformers. I will probably update this within a year with a Sabre or whatever comes along in the near future. (I will NOT be using any form of PC/Mac and have no need for any storage facility.)

Many thanks.

Hi Brian,
The 850 has a CDM4/19 transport but I dont know what chip it uses for generating SPDIF or the associated circuitry used for the digital output. I have two players with the CDM4/19 and they both sound great as transports but they do not sound identical because they use different chips for the SPDIF conversion and slightly different digital output circuits also. I would think some experimentation with different arrangements might lead to improvements.
If you're thinking about using I2S then I would consider building a transport.

Best, Bill

Brianco: go to your local tesco and get one of their marble cutting slabs for a tenner. Cut it into 3 equal sized sections (get a friendly tiler ot cut it for you on a wet saw) and bond together with no more nails or similar. Mount your mech on that and put a nice looking appropriate sized box on top with the cutout for the laser. You can buy nice bamboo boxes in tesco while you're there and cut them down to size.

Get yourself a few springs about 1" diameter and sit the whole assembly on that.

Now I know that sounds shite but do it neatly and it will look good.

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.