Best Way to cut Supply to USB Socket

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to cut the 5V supply on Pin 1 of a USB socket on a usb to spdif converter.

I can:

1. Unsolder the socket and cut the pin, then resolder back - I don't really want the hassle.

2. Cut a cable and reconnect the D+, D- and Ground lines - messy cable and easy.

3. Is there a better way like being able to get a molded adaptor or a cable?

:(:(:(

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would like to cut the 5V supply on Pin 1 of a USB socket on a usb to spdif converter.

I can:

1. Unsolder the socket and cut the pin, then resolder back - I don't really want the hassle.

2. Cut a cable and reconnect the D+, D- and Ground lines - messy cable and easy.

?? Cut the track to the pin...?

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I guess I should have wriiten it. If there is a track to be cut, I would have done it! It's a multilayer board.

OK. What I have sometimes done is just to cut the connector pin above the board. You can easily repair it if necessary, but I don't know whether it is possible with your type of plug on the board.
Tell me, why do you need to cut that supply?

jd

OK. What I have sometimes done is just to cut the connector pin above the board. You can easily repair it if necessary, but I don't know whether it is possible with your type of plug on the board.
Tell me, why do you need to cut that supply?

jd

I want to supply clean power to the adapter. The idea of using tape seems good and no, there is not sufficient protrusion to cut pins.

Fred,
I did up a socket which my USB cable plugs into D+, D- & ground straight through - power & ground connected to external supply- there should be an improvement on the Musiland even as a transport!

This way I can plug the cable straight into the DAC or through the socket with external power & then to the DAC

Fred,
I did up a socket which my USB cable plugs into D+, D- & ground straight through - power & ground connected to external supply- there should be an improvement on the Musiland even as a transport!

This way I can plug the cable straight into the DAC or through the socket with external power & then to the DAC

Good idea. However, in the USD version, bus power is regulated down to 3.3 and 1.2V via 1117 regulators and I think this accounts for the 'good' sound. It is these regulators that need improving and I may get round to it. The onboard closk is also disntinctly 'inferior' when compared to a reclocked output into my UA2192 which also offers a clock cleaning option.

The dac version may be different.

I can:

strip back some of the cable, open it up, and cut only the 5v wire. not as messy as cutting and patching the entire cable. Shouldn't be too difficult, still requires a bit of work. Can't think of anything better of the top of my head.

Good idea. However, in the USD version, bus power is regulated down to 3.3 and 1.2V via 1117 regulators and I think this accounts for the 'good' sound. It is these regulators that need improving and I may get round to it. The onboard closk is also disntinctly 'inferior' when compared to a reclocked output into my UA2192 which also offers a clock cleaning option.

The dac version may be different.

I know that the 1117 regs which feed 3.3V & 1.7V to the Cypress & Xilinx chips & the crystal are isolating these, somewhat, from the raw USB supply but still an improvement in raw supply will improve matters.

In the US model, the PCM1793 DAC chip are fed by this 3.3V & by 5V & OP275 output stage is fed by +/- 5V. This 5V (+/-) is derived from the raw USB supply through an involved circuit of inductors & some chips I don't recognise which cleans up the 5V supply and provides a -5V supply

My next round of mods to this beast will involve a low jitter Crystek clock for the crystal but also a clean supply for the 5V, 3.3V & 1.7V.

I see mine moving away from a neat portable unit to rehousing it in a bigger box with all the ancillaries that are warranted - power supplies, I2S to other DAC, transformer output stage, etc

I know that the 1117 regs which feed 3.3V & 1.7V to the Cypress & Xilinx chips & the crystal are isolating these, somewhat, from the raw USB supply but still an improvement in raw supply will improve matters.

In the US model, the PCM1793 DAC chip are fed by this 3.3V & by 5V & OP275 output stage is fed by +/- 5V. This 5V (+/-) is derived from the raw USB supply through an involved circuit of inductors & some chips I don't recognise which cleans up the 5V supply and provides a -5V supply

I see mine moving away from a neat portable unit to rehousing it in a bigger box with all the ancillaries that are warranted - power supplies, I2S to other DAC, transformer output stage, etc

I actually took the 'messy' route by modifying a double screened usb cable so that the input socket to the converter is fed by a double regulated 5V supply. This alters the 90R impedance of the digital line but improves sound significantly (bass resolution, imaging etc, and removes a degree of colouration in the overall sound when compared to the rme 9362).

Try it.

I actually took the 'messy' route by modifying a double screened usb cable so that the input socket to the converter is fed by a double regulated 5V supply. This alters the 90R impedance of the digital line but improves sound significantly (bass resolution, imaging etc, and removes a degree of colouration in the overall sound when compared to the rme 9362).

Try it.
I thought it might improve matters even in your transport only 01 USD model - I wonder if it's major influence is a cleaner PS to the 24MHz crystal rather than the Xilinx or Cypress chips?

Last edited:
I thought it might improve matters even in your transport only 01 USD model - I wonder if it's major influence is a cleaner PS to the 24MHz crystal rather than the Xilinx or Cypress chips?

There is more to it than that. I tried two PSs, a 7805 and a LT 323 with identical 40 uV rms noise level fed by a 317 supply. They sound quite different!

The LT chip has greater hf clarity whereas the 7805 less resolving.

I am out of Jung regulators at present but will make one up and rig these up for measurement.

By the way, the 01USD is 100 kHz out on fs.

There is more to it than that. I tried two PSs, a 7805 and a LT 323 with identical 40 uV rms noise level fed by a 317 supply. They sound quite different!

The LT chip has greater hf clarity whereas the 7805 less resolving.

I am out of Jung regulators at present but will make one up and rig these up for measurement.

By the way, the 01USD is 100 kHz out on fs.
Well, it's not unusual for different PSs to sound different even in digital only systems. But, as I asked on AA have you tried running the output through your reclocker - does it still improve the sound as much as before?

Also you mentioned on AA that when you bypassed the on-board 1117 regulators it made the sound worse - can you say more about this?

Also, are you telling me the word clock output from the 01USD is 100KHz & this has something to do with the whine I'm hearing when connecting another DAC to I2S? Can you also say more about this?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.