Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2009, 12:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best Way to cut Supply to USB Socket

I would like to cut the 5V supply on Pin 1 of a USB socket on a usb to spdif converter.

I can:

1. Unsolder the socket and cut the pin, then resolder back - I don't really want the hassle.

2. Cut a cable and reconnect the D+, D- and Ground lines - messy cable and easy.

3. Is there a better way like being able to get a molded adaptor or a cable?

Old 17th September 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmak View Post
I would like to cut the 5V supply on Pin 1 of a USB socket on a usb to spdif converter.

I can:

1. Unsolder the socket and cut the pin, then resolder back - I don't really want the hassle.

2. Cut a cable and reconnect the D+, D- and Ground lines - messy cable and easy.

?? Cut the track to the pin...?

jd
Old 17th September 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
?? Cut the track to the pin...?

jd
I guess I should have wriiten it. If there is a track to be cut, I would have done it! It's a multilayer board.
Old 17th September 2009, 02:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess I should have wriiten it. If there is a track to be cut, I would have done it! It's a multilayer board.
OK. What I have sometimes done is just to cut the connector pin above the board. You can easily repair it if necessary, but I don't know whether it is possible with your type of plug on the board.
Tell me, why do you need to cut that supply?

jd
Old 18th September 2009, 12:24 AM   #5
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Cut a small piece of tape...

Tape it over pin one

Add: Suggest taping the pin on one end of the cable, so the devices are left untouched. And Type-A connector is easiest to tape compared to type-B and mini/micro.

Last edited by wwenze; 18th September 2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 18th September 2009, 05:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
OK. What I have sometimes done is just to cut the connector pin above the board. You can easily repair it if necessary, but I don't know whether it is possible with your type of plug on the board.
Tell me, why do you need to cut that supply?

jd
I want to supply clean power to the adapter. The idea of using tape seems good and no, there is not sufficient protrusion to cut pins.
Old 18th September 2009, 05:51 PM   #7
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Fred,
I did up a socket which my USB cable plugs into D+, D- & ground straight through - power & ground connected to external supply- there should be an improvement on the Musiland even as a transport!

This way I can plug the cable straight into the DAC or through the socket with external power & then to the DAC
Old 19th September 2009, 05:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
Fred,
I did up a socket which my USB cable plugs into D+, D- & ground straight through - power & ground connected to external supply- there should be an improvement on the Musiland even as a transport!

This way I can plug the cable straight into the DAC or through the socket with external power & then to the DAC
Good idea. However, in the USD version, bus power is regulated down to 3.3 and 1.2V via 1117 regulators and I think this accounts for the 'good' sound. It is these regulators that need improving and I may get round to it. The onboard closk is also disntinctly 'inferior' when compared to a reclocked output into my UA2192 which also offers a clock cleaning option.

The dac version may be different.
Old 19th September 2009, 05:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I can:
strip back some of the cable, open it up, and cut only the 5v wire. not as messy as cutting and patching the entire cable. Shouldn't be too difficult, still requires a bit of work. Can't think of anything better of the top of my head.
Old 19th September 2009, 05:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want to supply clean power to the adapter. The idea of using tape seems good and no, there is not sufficient protrusion to cut pins.
of course there is this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/151844-usb-galvanic-isolation-post1927483.html

then you get to supply a clean ground and power to the peripheral/DAC...

Hide this!Advertise here!