Silicon Chip DAC kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wow a generic generic opamp :rolleyes:, the legit part is only a couple dollars a throw, though I would only ever use it in a regulator or servo that requires a well performing unity gain stable opamp, but never direct in the signal path. I think its great that you guys have brought an affordable dac design to the masses and impressive to see the designer here answering questions. although I must admit to noticing a trend of lumping myriad small details into a heap and claimed inaudible or unimportant where convenient.

I do think that when supplying a kit in part as an educational tool, datasheet recommendations at least should be adhered to, double sided PCB and (preferably sectioned) low Z ground plain is a must in any of these chips specified app notes. double sided PCBs are standard for any of the well known budget PCB fab houses such as batch PCB, golden Phoenix etc and i'm sure its a similar state of affairs here in OZ. I think before moving onto a 24/192 design, that grounding NEEDS to be sorted out.

Well I got my DAC kit last Monday morning and had it all up and going by Tuesday night. Haven't had much of a critical listen yet because the amplifier I am using is positively horrid, but I have a better one in the works, so we'll see. Overall though, the DAC seems to work just great.

Well I got my DAC kit last Monday morning and had it all up and going by Tuesday night. Haven't had much of a critical listen yet because the amplifier I am using is positively horrid, but I have a better one in the works, so we'll see. Overall though, the DAC seems to work just great.

Circlotron
The SC DAC benefits greatly from added parallel/shunt regulators for the various ares. e.g. The JLH "Ripple Eater" as in the current Group Buy elsewhere in this forum. Also likes the metal can LME49710HA at the output, which helps get around the Burr Brown "house sound" Several Sydney members will confirm this.There are other areas capable of further improvement too.
SandyK

performance comparison

This is a long shot as it relies upon a memeber reading the post, being familiar with this kit and the Logitech Squeezebox Duet. But let me try ! :

Does anyone know how the sound quality of this unit roughly compares to the on-board DAC in a Squeezebox Duet ?

or put another way :

If I build this kit am I likely to notice little difference over what Logitec have already provided me in their Duet DAC ?

or even :

I find my Squeezebox duet is comparable to but not quite equal to the output from my Marantz CD player (when played into homemade 3 way active speakers c/o Elliott Sound Designs). If I build this DAC is it likely to offer any real improvement ?

Any advice welcomed ....

Hi Fat_terry,

I can't help you on the particular dac, but this evening I just bought a duet for the kitchen, and on my audiengine A1 there was a huge different between the duet and the duet playing through a audioalchemy dac-in-the-box ( rather cheep DAC from 94 i think ) So if an old dac can due such a difference Im quite sure you will see quite some upgrade in almost any dac.

I agree with "reenburg." However, in it's published form it is just an O.K. DAC, and nothing special.
It is however capable of vast improvement using improved PSUs etc.
It is not presently available from Jaycar in short form, although Altronics still stocks it as a complete kit including metalwork.K5332 ($269 this month ?)
SandyK.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is a long shot as it relies upon a member reading the post, being familiar with this kit and the Logitech Squeezebox Duet. But let me try ! :

Does anyone know how the sound quality of this unit roughly compares to the on-board DAC in a Squeezebox Duet ?

or put another way :

If I build this kit am I likely to notice little difference over what Logitech have already provided me in their Duet DAC ?

or even :

I find my Squeezebox duet is comparable to but not quite equal to the output from my Marantz CD player (when played into homemade 3 way active speakers c/o Elliott Sound Designs). If I build this DAC is it likely to offer any real improvement ?

Any advice welcomed ....

hi fat_terry,

Thanks for posting. I have a Squeezebox Duet and I had one of these kits 80% built. Your post gave the incentive to finish building it.

Results: It works fine, but my initial impression is it is only on par with the internal Squeezebox DAC. No major improvement. On another system, the results may be different though.

I hope to compare my standard SC DAC with sandyK's modded version at some time in the future, it will be interesting the hear the differences. If Alex comes to my place we'll test his DAC on the Squeezebox Duet to see if it is worthwhile.

regards

Greg
If you have a dual polarity JLH with formed electros, why don't you shove it in a plastic bag for now, and simply try it in line with the +-15V supply for the DAC PCB ? It would only take a few minutes if you are using screw terminals on the JLH, and not spade lugs.
Alex

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Greg
If you have a dual polarity JLH with formed electros, why don't you shove it in a plastic bag for now, and simply try it in line with the +-15V supply for the DAC PCB ? It would only take a few minutes if you are using screw terminals on the JLH, and not spade lugs.
Alex

Alex you read my mind. As you posted I just connect the standard DAC up to refresh my memory of the sound, digging out some JLH ripple eaters now.

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Alex,

The brand new JLH ripple eater installed on the 15-0-15 supply. OMFG, I am having trouble comprehending the vast improvement. It must be the power of suggestion or some other voodoo going on here.

Anyway, more testing required to prove I am not just imagining things.

Regards

Hi Alex,

The brand new JLH ripple eater installed on the 15-0-15 supply. OMFG, I am having trouble comprehending the vast improvement. It must be the power of suggestion or some other voodoo going on here.

Anyway, more testing required to prove I am not just imagining things.

Regards

Hi Greg
First impressions are usually best, especially when coming from the resident sceptic of the listening group !:D
Are the large electros in that JLH fully "acclimatised "?
If not, the SQ will go up and down in cycles for a little over 48 hours of use before stabilising. Further mods will be more subtle, but will all add up.;)
Regards
Alex

Having only recently "finished" mine, I can vouch for all of the 5 single JLHs being very worthwhile in this project. Get them all in there and then...

Wait until you sort out the 3.3v power supplies (as per Alexs mods), then your jaw will really hit the deck!

EDIT

PS

Chris ;)

Last edited:
Hello All, having been involved in the original "taste tests" with Alex some years ago, I can atest that you will be rewarded with some great sound, whilst it may be unfamiliar at first, relax and imbibe it, let it fill your soul and then comment.
May I also add that a prudent reverse engineering of the squeezbox, you will I have no doubt at all, be able to squeeze a more "fragrant" sound from this little instrument which you will all no doubt agree is a compromise of engineers and accountants. When the "artist" engineer prevails (like Alex) angles are heard to sing from even the most modest of mods.
best soldering please
Alfred

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi All,

I have had this DAC up going for about 6 months now and am very happy with the results. I have been playing with various versions of the JLH ripple eater on the output board and have found very little difference varying the size and brand of caps. They are all very good. There is a question mark on use of OSCONs though, further experimentation is required.

I have also added an extra JLH ripple eater on the 5V supply of the input board. Initially, I didn't notice a difference but after modding the JLH ripple eater to sandyK's recommendations for lower voltages it is in there to stay.

A few weeks ago I had a chance to directly compare my slightly modded SC DAC to sandyK's fully modded SC DAC and I have to admit there is quite a difference, so I will continue to adding the mods till it is up to sandyK specs. sandyK has kindly given me some of the PCBs and components to proceed, thanks a lot.

Also, at our recent GTG we had a chance to compare these modded SC DACs with a few "known" brand DACs and I have to say these SC DACs can hold their heads high.

So many thanks to sandyK, alfredrofe and of course the designer, nvinen.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.