Digital source selector?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've searched and can't find any info...

I've got the DAC in this thread,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137976&page=114

And I would like to be able to run both my Squeezebox and Oppo DVD(coaxial and optical outs, respectively) into and toggle between them. I don't use a preamp and would like to run the output of the DAC directly into my amplifier and use the digital switch for my source selection. I would like it if it is a stand alone board that I can incorporate into the same chassis with the DAC, but it isn't totally necessary.

Suggestions?

I'm not sure if I have stumped everyone with this question or perhaps the answer is so obvious that none have bothered to reply:p

When I search for a digital source switch all I come up with is a digital video switch which only switches optical connections. I found a pro sound switch that would work but at almost $600 I would much rather find a diy solution.

I'm not sure if I have stumped everyone with this question or perhaps the answer is so obvious that none have bothered to reply:p

When I search for a digital source switch all I come up with is a digital video switch which only switches optical connections. I found a pro sound switch that would work but at almost $600 I would much rather find a diy solution.

With that board all you need is a SPDT switch to toggle between opt and coax. Just wire the switch to the jumper pins that change the input from coax to opt, one pole, two positions.If you need two coax inputs you can convert the opt in to coax in very easily.

Best, Bill

If you take a look at the Impasse thread -- I show how to use the Silonex LDR's (Light dependent resistor) for switching inputs -- these are much lower distortion/noise than CMOS muxes -- and don't require a bipolar supply. You have to control the current into the diode with a resistor. In a switching application you don't have to worry about resistivity changes with temperature (it's not the resistance which changes as it is the output of the LED). I have used both Silonex and Vactrol's for this purpose.

With that board all you need is a SPDT switch to toggle between opt and coax. Just wire the switch to the jumper pins that change the input from coax to opt, one pole, two positions.If you need two coax inputs you can convert the opt in to coax in very easily.

Best, Bill

Bill you mentioned, that we can easily convert OPT input to COAX.
Can you explain the procedure.
I would like to use two COAX input and slect between them with SPDT switch.

Ziga

Bill you mentioned, that we can easily convert OPT input to COAX.
Can you explain the procedure.
I would like to use two COAX input and slect between them with SPDT switch.

Ziga

Hi Ziga,
First, download the CS8416 data sheet and look at the typical connection page, it shows both coax and opt input arrangements. They are identical except the 5v supply to the torx and an additional 75ohm resistor to ground. Just remove the torx unit, add the resistor, and wire up a jack to the board, pretty easy. The two jumpers on the board control the internal 4 way mux, all you need is one spdt switch to go back and forth from opt(second coax) to coax. Just hook the center pin on the switch to the center jumper pin and the others to the other pins. You could switch all four mux inputs with a rotary switch also but the switching arrangment would be more complicated, and I haven't the need and have not worked through that.

Best, Bill

Hi Ziga,
First, download the CS8416 data sheet and look at the typical connection page, it shows both coax and opt input arrangements. They are identical except the 5v supply to the torx and an additional 75ohm resistor to ground. Just remove the torx unit, add the resistor, and wire up a jack to the board, pretty easy. The two jumpers on the board control the internal 4 way mux, all you need is one spdt switch to go back and forth from opt(second coax) to coax. Just hook the center pin on the switch to the center jumper pin and the others to the other pins. You could switch all four mux inputs with a rotary switch also but the switching arrangment would be more complicated, and I haven't the need and have not worked through that.

Best, Bill

Thanks Bill. I will remove resistor and torx.

Ziga

Ok maybe I don't understand...

In my world a "torx" is a type of screw head, but for some reason I don't think that is what you are speaking of. I downloaded the sheet and looked at the typical connections page(pg 21) and I don't see anything that gives me a clue. Is a "torx" the jumper making the connection currently? Remove that and attach switch with 75ohm resistor going to which pin?

Bill, I don't suppose you have a picture of this modification(if you have done it)?

The Torx unit is the opt input device. The switching has nothing to do with the input circuitry, it just chooses which input pin is internally connected inside the cs8416. In hardware mode there are 4 input pins available, and they are all identical. On your board only 3 are used. One is set up for coax, one for opt, and one for usb. If you changed the input circuitry you could have all coax inputs, all opt inputs, all usb inputs, or any combination. The 2 jumpers on the board are a simple matrix that chooses the input pin in use, and has nothing to do with the input circuitry you choose to connect to the input pins, each is totally separate.
To hook up a simple spdt switch for opt/coax selection you simply connect the center switch pin to the center jumper pin and hook the outer switch pins to the outer jumper pins.

Thanks Bill!

That sounds suspiciously easy, I'm sure I'll manage to do something to screw it
up:) Actually, I do have one more question and I hope it isn't too annoying. There are six pins total; when you say connect to the center pin/outside pins do you mean the set nearest the edge of the board?

No problem, Vaughn
Unless your board is different than everyone elses, there is only one jumper that has to be moved to switch between opt and coax.
Remove that jumper and you will have three pins on that side of the matrix, ignore the other side of the matrix.
Now hook the center terminal of your switch to the center pin and hook the other switch terminals to the other pins. Now you can switch between opt and coax with the flip of the switch.
If you want to use the usb input at some later date you will still have to move the other jumper, that is why I mentioned using a 2 pole rotary switch to enable switching between all 3 inputs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.