TDA1545A and Vref - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 05:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
hollowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Blog Entries: 3
Default TDA1545A and Vref

With the TDA1545A, how should one handle Vref?
From the TDA1545A datatasheet, it's supposed to be fed to the (+) input of the I/V opamp; I_out gets the (-) input .
Most DIY designs for TDA1545A seem to ignore Vref, leaving it dangling (see Examples below). This goes against Philips' recommendation. So, what's the real deal with Vref?
(P.S. If you don't have experience with TDA1545A, how about TDA1543?) Thx!
Examples:
Rbrorer TDA1545A I/V
...and...
Peufeu's TDA1545A I/V:
Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 06:42 AM   #2
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
My guess is that if Vref isn't 2/3 VDD then there will be DC offset at the op-amp output?

And if the non-inverted input is connected to ground, the op-amp will be outputting positive voltage all the time? That would be bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 07:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
hollowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenze View Post
My guess is that if Vref isn't 2/3 VDD then there will be DC offset at the op-amp output?

And if the non-inverted input is connected to ground, the op-amp will be outputting positive voltage all the time? That would be bad.
I think the 1545A datasheet ckt, per the shown voltage divider, pretty much takes care of 2/3 Vdd.
Your second point is why I raised the query to begin with. But that (not using Vref) is what some DIYers seem to be doing for discrete I/V. Here, again, are examples of this:
Single rail, active I/V for TDA1543, TDA1545A
http://peufeu.free.fr/audio/extremis...plement_4.html

The first one seems to have been primarily designed for the TDA1543, tho' Rudolf does note (almost as an afterthought) that it works for TDA1545A. It does and it sounds fine (I have built it!). But I keep wondering about the dangling Vref. Is this a fundamental part of Philips' design -- or just an afterthough tweak? Is there any way one can use it in the discrete (non opamp) ckts noted above?

Last edited by hollowman; 30th August 2009 at 07:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 02:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Nazar_lv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Banderstadt
Blog Entries: 4
Send a message via ICQ to Nazar_lv
the current output from 1545 must be with potential from 2 to 4V for 5Vpower supply, better 3.3v, resistor from power supply to Iref pin sets midscale output current and full scale output current.
In your schematic potential on current output 1545 will be 0v, input impedance of such i/u stage will be very big, all this is very very bad.

The principle of CC DAC is described in "A Self-Calibration Technique for Monolithic High-Resolution D/A Converters" by D. WOUTER J. GROENEVELD, HANS J. SCHOUWENAARS,
HENK A. H. TERMEER, ANDCORNELIS A. A. BASTIAANSEN
i uploded it here http://www.diyaudio.org.ua/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=205

PS sorry for my bad english
__________________
"In developing audio devices we can always find creative non standart solutions that will ensure the best sound" (с) S-Audio.Systems
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 07:12 PM   #5
sigurd is offline sigurd  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: belgium
Default TAD1545A and Vref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazar_lv View Post
the current output from 1545 must be with potential from 2 to 4V for 5Vpower supply, better 3.3v, resistor from power supply to Iref pin sets midscale output current and full scale output current.
In your schematic potential on current output 1545 will be 0v, input impedance of such i/u stage will be very big, all this is very very bad.

The principle of CC DAC is described in "A Self-Calibration Technique for Monolithic High-Resolution D/A Converters" by D. WOUTER J. GROENEVELD, HANS J. SCHOUWENAARS,
HENK A. H. TERMEER, ANDCORNELIS A. A. BASTIAANSEN
i uploded it here DIYaudio.org.ua • ????

PS sorry for my bad english
Vref: intern DAC 11K : ground to Vref ( 7 )- Vref extern resistor 11K to 3,3 volt supply rail : so the voltage of Vref is 1,65 volt and in the middle of 3,3 volt, and in the middle of the two resistors ( 11K and 11K )
I use a TL431 adjust to 3,3 volt ( with capacitor 47F from input TL431 to + rail )
This seems me the best.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 08:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Eric Juaneda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Avignon, France
Hello sigurd,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurd View Post
Vref: intern DAC 11K : ground to Vref ( 7 )- Vref extern resistor 11K to 3,3 volt supply rail : so the voltage of Vref is 1,65 volt and in the middle of 3,3 volt, and in the middle of the two resistors ( 11K and 11K )
I use a TL431 adjust to 3,3 volt ( with capacitor 47F from input TL431 to + rail )
This seems me the best.
Folowing Philips recommendations you are right. With other configuration, you can move forward.

The sound quality of the TDA1545A is directly dependant on how you drive IREF pin. In my Jundac Five DAC kit, I use a reference tension with very low output impedance to drive IREF pin.

From Diyaudio.com: IREF, the secret of the TDA1545A
__________________
Eric Juaneda - tech.Juaneda.com - Junilabs.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
sigurd is offline sigurd  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: belgium
Default TDA1545A and Vref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Juaneda View Post
Hello sigurd,

Folowing Philips recommendations you are right. With other configuration, you can move forward.

The sound quality of the TDA1545A is directly dependant on how you drive IREF pin. In my Jundac Five DAC kit, I use a reference tension with very low output impedance to drive IREF pin.

From Diyaudio.com: IREF, the secret of the TDA1545A
Thanks for your reply.
Instead of the 11K resistor from + rail ( 3,3 volt TLE431 ) to Vref ( 7 ) a BC550c emitter follower : on the basis of the transistor a capacitor and parallel a resistor to ground : MKP? , PIO ?, TANTALUM,? Output emitter voltage can set by this resistor . The quality of the capacitor affects very much the sound.
I try an capacitor direct on the Vref pin , but that seems me not so good.
BTW your DAC is splendid, also the I/V conversion, simple but very effective.
Thanks for your help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 06:38 PM   #8
sigurd is offline sigurd  Belgium
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurd View Post
Thanks for your reply.
Instead of the 11K resistor from + rail ( 3,3 volt TLE431 ) to Vref ( 7 ) a BC550c emitter follower : on the basis of the transistor a capacitor and parallel a resistor to ground : MKP? , PIO ?, TANTALUM,? Output emitter voltage can set by this resistor . The quality of the capacitor affects very much the sound.
I try an capacitor direct on the Vref pin , but that seems me not so good.
BTW your DAC is splendid, also the I/V conversion, simple but very effective.
Thanks for your help.
Also the bypass of the DAC is very important , 0,1F ceramic, 1F Wima,
10F oscon, 220F BG and with a bead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 06:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Eric Juaneda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Avignon, France
Hi sigurd,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigurd View Post
Also the bypass of the DAC is very important , 0,1F ceramic, 1F Wima,10F oscon, 220F BG and with a bead.
Sure, the power supply is important too. You are using a very strong configuration.
In my personal experience, the ferrite bead degrade audio rendering. I forget this solution in analog section.
__________________
Eric Juaneda - tech.Juaneda.com - Junilabs.com
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tda1545a vref capacitor ash_dac Digital Source 39 1st January 2014 12:21 PM
Opamp for Vref on TDA1543, TDA1545A hollowman Digital Line Level 2 24th August 2009 09:10 AM
SAA7323 Vref pin? jnewbold Digital Source 0 16th September 2008 02:35 AM
Passive I/V Vref dsavitsk Digital Source 4 22nd November 2005 02:07 PM
AD580 2.5 V very low noise VRef jackinnj Swap Meet 0 2nd September 2002 02:11 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:47 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2