Where to begin a DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am a complete beginner on diy audio projects. The only diy project I have completed so far is an opamp. I know that I am nowhere near able to build a DAC, but I am fumbling around trying to find a place to start learning.

Where would you recommend that I begin on studying DACs? Any websites or books to check out? I would like to expand from this onto ADCs.

I did a quick search on diyaudio for "begin dac" and "dac" to find something fairly elementary, but nothing came up that I could really understand.

I have searched google for any information, and I know that I am having trouble understanding interfaces and clocks. I think its the pin descriptions in the datasheets that confuse me, e.g. DIR1703 compared to DIR9001 receivers.

And, then from there, what else would you suspect that I would have some trouble grasping?

Thanks
--undoredo

a few ideas

there are a few sites that might help.

I think on twisted pear audio they have a description of how DAC's work.

Also have look for the bantam DAC on head-fi.org, or on google.
if you have built and opamp curcuit then you can definately build a bantam :)

There is also a few basic projects on the arduino site (arduino.cc) that use 8 resistors to make a basic dac.

hope that helps.

Re: a few ideas

sivrat said:
there are a few sites that might help.

I think on twisted pear audio they have a description of how DAC's work.

Also have look for the bantam DAC on head-fi.org, or on google.
if you have built and opamp curcuit then you can definately build a bantam :)

There is also a few basic projects on the arduino site (arduino.cc) that use 8 resistors to make a basic dac.

hope that helps.

These sites are helping out quite a bit.

It looks like the Bantam will be the easiest one to begin with. Thanks for the help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.