ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hmm space for SEN IV? maybe JUST, the IV itself is quite small, though needs to take AVCC/2 for bias. but the many batteries (8 x 9v, or many more smaller) plus charging arrangements, I feel it would take a pretty clean looking build and make it cluttered, but yes there probably is room. its Patrick's Jfet IV needs 4 x 18v+ floating power supplies

here

Last edited:
Could you supply assembled AKD16 boards?
-rade95

Fully assembled ones would have to wait for a while until I get versions with IV and other functions integrated so that all models could share the same stencil and setup costs ~$400 (automatic assy in a fab house). Manual assembly can be a pain especially doing it over and over again with all the small parts.

Web Pricing

Hi Folks,

As you have noticed, all web prices are in USD and orders processed by PayPal. Their low fee services and security have made it attractive for DIYers. However, recent changes to their policies have seen them steadily increasing fees and now with cross border fees. So far I have been absorbing all the fees to make it easier for you all but it is getting difficult keep on doing it. They have also started to dig into exchanges rates as well. I found today PayPal 1 USD = 0.93 Australian (AUD) when in actual fact the AUD is much stronger at 1.04 USD! Hope this is not an error.
Anyway, I will be changing all web prices to AUD over the next few days and you may have to work out the amount in your own currencies. I may continue to absorb the fees for a while. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Folks,

As you have noticed, all web prices are in USD and orders processed by PayPal. Their low fee services and security have made it attractive for DIYers. However, recent changes to their policies have seen them steadily increasing fees and now with cross border fees. So far I have been absorbing all the fees to make it easier for you all but it is getting difficult keep on doing it. They have also started to dig into exchanges rates as well. I found today PayPal 1 USD = 0.93 Australian (AUD) when in actual fact the AUD is much stronger at 1.04 USD! Hope this is not an error.
Anyway, I will be changing all web prices to AUD over the next few days and you may have to work out the amount in your own currencies. I may continue to absorb the fees for a while. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Acko,
their exchange rate was always exuberant. On the sending side, buyer have option to select the exchange rate - paypal or the one from your bank, the one you are using the card from. I always selected that option. Do not know how is on the seller or money recipient side, but in your case that would not matter any more. It was always funny to me when you select your bank rate, paypal will come up with warnings that you might be paying more, hahaha.

acko, I dont know that you have made a mistake with writing that out, or not, no doubt they have been taking 2 or 3 slices of the pie lately and have been expensive for ages, I eat the PP fees too, I think its actually a condition....

especially with the AUD being so strong the conversions have been really bad, then they get the fees too and then if you are drawing from a bank you will often get a fee for the transaction, but your math above is a bit confusing to me.

is 1USD = 0.93AUD that translates to 1AUD = 1.0752... better than 1.04

thanks for the tip on the interstate fees! wth! why? whats the bloody excuse for that? it costs them nothing and there is no interstate tax

Last edited:
acko, I dont know that you have made a mistake with writing that out, or not,

is 1USD = 0.93AUD that translates to 1AUD = 1.0752... better than 1.04

thanks for the tip on the interstate fees! wth! why? whats the bloody excuse for that? it costs them nothing and there is no interstate tax

Yes, Qusp you are right my mistake actually. Just the reeling Aussie dollar and the seller transaction fee increases! Thank you very much.
Don't know how I got it all mixed up :ashamed:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What is SEN I/V? If you have a link I would love to see it. In my set up Legato is just a small portion of the full I/V. There is Lundahl transformer and jFet buffer behind it, but in separate case, see here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...imate-weapon-fight-jitter-30.html#post3239568
You may find the SEN I/V thread here.
Others and myself have found that replacing the Legato (even tweaked extensively) with the SEN I/V is the single best upgrade you can do to your ES9018. The circuit is exceedingly simple, but require 4 floating supplies if run in a balanced configuration (highly recommended). The high number of supplies seems to scare people of from trying this circuit, but if the ultimate in sound is what you are here for then it is an absolute must.
Especially for somebody like you who well know the superior quality of well implemented JFETs for audio.

I don't know anybody who has turned back;)

Very interresting. If the community allow you to build a "finished" solution based on those designs then I know that I am _very_ interrested indeed. Too complex for me to try to build on my own.

Edit: Acko; let me know if you want / allow me to create 3d models of your components. Could be nice to allow custom case work.

Last edited:
Still rearranging the design. Ian's FIFO-Clock on the way also. Will be posting some details soon ...

Acko, I'm just stirring the pot there mate. :D I think this will be a VERY interesting design indeed. I am watching with interest as things develop. I am not in a position that allows the financial commitment of a fully tricked out AKD12P design at the moment, so I am just watching mostly, for now.

Very interresting. If the community allow you to build a "finished" solution based on those designs then I know that I am _very_ interrested indeed. Too complex for me to try to build on my own.

Edit: Acko; let me know if you want / allow me to create 3d models of your components. Could be nice to allow custom case work.

I suspect you aren't alone there!

You may find the SEN I/V thread here.
Others and myself have found that replacing the Legato (even tweaked extensively) with the SEN I/V is the single best upgrade you can do to your ES9018. The circuit is exceedingly simple, but require 4 floating supplies if run in a balanced configuration (highly recommended). The high number of supplies seems to scare people of from trying this circuit, but if the ultimate in sound is what you are here for then it is an absolute must.
Especially for somebody like you who well know the superior quality of well implemented JFETs for audio.

I don't know anybody who has turned back;)

NicMac,
thank you for the info. Interestingly, when I checked SEN I/V I found a lots of similarity with the balanced jFet buffer I am using. Essentially similar building blocks. In my system I have Legato and after that balanced jFet buffer with Lundahl transformer. That means that I could eliminate Legato and modify my buffer to serve as I/V converter as well. Maybe. I will check with Dr. Zen Mod to see what he thinks. :D

now that would be cool, only problem is, you would have to work out some way to have it in the same case, doing IV in a separate case from the dac doesnt seem like a good idea to me anyway

You are correct, honestly did not think about that one, but still I believe I do have a room for that if I pull out Legato. I am bringing anyways two channels of power supplies from two Shuntys, so at least that is not an issue, but what maybe that is not needed since batteries are also required... Need to think more about it, but for sure would like to test and observe the difference. Will be interesting.

DSD Connections

Dear Acko,

When you are ready to integrate SDTrans to your TURBO Master Clock board in a synchronous master clocking scheme, I will support you as much as possible. As SDTRans is designed to accept external master clocks from the first time, you will find it easy to change its hardware configurations. Even if you break any part of the transport board, I am sure Chiaki will repair it without any problem.

Bunpei

Hi Bunpei,

Thank you very much for your continued support!
I am actually preparing to test the SDTrans384. The Turbo Clock is directly compatible, so minimal mods required. But first I need to get an interface board done that will take the header outputs of the SDTrans and fan out to w.fl coax to match the AKD12 Digital Inputs.

This is almost ready but I have noticed that when physical connections are arranged for DSD from SDTrans, the DAC inputs will not be compatible with I2S (stereo mode). This means I cannot play pcm audio on a DAC setup for DSD and vice versa, unless the digital inputs are physically reconnected to match. The line of contention is LRCK (of I2S) that becomes DSD1 and also the way the DAC cells are connected to the inputs.

Not sure if I am getting confused with all the signal lines but any help is most appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.