ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Acko,

... The SQ of the setup is really good, so it goes to indicate that the NDK XOs and signal processing of the Turbo Clock are working well. I haven't done direct comparisons yet but based on memory, appears sounding better the Crystek types used previously with this DAC. So standard Async mode with low jitter XOs does sound very good. ...

I'm very glad to hear the result on NDK XOs of 90. 3168 and 98.304 MHz.

... Based on the above results, I am still undecided as to whether to go further and mod the EXA unit for synchronous operation. For this case, 2 slave clock outputs from the Turbo Clock goes into the Clock inputs of the EXA unit. The two on-board XOs need to come out. Then I have got to tap the embedded Fs signals of the EXA to switch the Turbo Clock accordingly. Fairly, intrusive process and may cause damage or void any warranty of this fairly expensive EXA unit, so treading carefully ...

When you are ready to integrate SDTrans to your TURBO Master Clock board in a synchronous master clocking scheme, I will support you as much as possible. As SDTRans is designed to accept external master clocks from the first time, you will find it easy to change its hardware configurations. Even if you break any part of the transport board, I am sure Chiaki will repair it without any problem.

... Also, the Master Clock from the Turbo unit is inverted w.r.t. the Slave Clocks to reduce noise further as indicated in one of the ESS App note, so all lined up! ...

I am very interested in this feature and result.

By the way, I tried a galvanic isolation of USB 2.0 high speed interface successfully without any complicated ways. If you are interested in the method, please read this post.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/177336-usb-dsd-dac-adc-electrart-4.html#post3218043

Best regards,
Bunpei

The pads marked mclk are for u.fl or w.fl micro coaxial sockets. If you look at the AKD12P photo on acko's website you will see that these pads are available underneath the mounting point for the asynchronous clock on that board, this allows that board to be used with either, depending on user choice.

In multichannel situation that you propose, I would suggest the AKD18 is a better choice. Asynchronous clock onboard and multiple channels in the one DAC so no clocking issues that qusp has mentioned.

no, maybe acko would offer something but no there never has been and nor would I expect much discount, despite the higher than some pricing the parts and production cost on these is large, teflon multilayer PCBs with gold plate, only top shelf parts. besides what are you talking about? acko what? there is 4 or 5 dacs and multiple different formats

Last edited:
ok, I'm looking at the 9023 DAC. Looks great.

I'd like to use the amanero I just ordered and hook it up using I2S. What bit rate / frequency does this dac support?

So the AKD23 then.

Acko's board is, IMO, the best design currently available to match (possibly exceed?) the specification for the DAC chip that are on the datasheet for the ES9023, for the reasons qusp has mentioned above. Connect the power, i2s signal pairs to the positions provided and the output to your chosen amp and enjoy!

The bit rate/freq are per the ES9023 datasheet. 24bit/192k max.

Last edited:
of ackos stuff only the 9012/18 options handle 44.1->384kHz

You missed the youngest member of the family, the 9016 ;)

Basically, it is only the ES9023 that won't go over 192k, which is plenty enough for me at this stage.

IMHO, there are better reasons to go for the 9012/18 or 9016 DACs over the 9023, their higher sample rate is nice but not the primary reason for going to the higher models.

Last edited:
I know, but its only specified a 192khz dac and no numbers are given for higher rates; it will as we know go much higher, however the clock speeds needed to do 500kHz with oversampling enabled are outside the recommended safe range

though I suppose 192x FS could be used instead of 256, but that doesnt really match their other specifications. its somewhat inconsistent that datasheet in this regard

Last edited:
ahh, maybe you were talking about the 9023 when you mentioned the 192khz limit a couple pages ago. cool glad to hear that. what I was referring to was just that they dont specify performance at higher speeds than 192, even though it does say it can do it. if you do the math with the OSF on and take the max recommended XO speed at 256x fs you cant do 500khz, but you can if you do it at 192x fs, something to play with with the Si570 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.