ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Integrated Combo

For those whose want something ready built consider the combo series. The latest one shown below has this Synchronous Master Clock. integrated. PM me for DAC user's manual and other details.

Attachments

• AKD12-CB-5.jpg
    AKD12-CB-5.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 560
cool, a number of us have been waiting for that, thats my sub channels right there. hey but that doesnt look like the balanced outs are available on the IV? i'll send you an email later, i've got some interesting plans for this baby. could just tap them I suppose

Last edited:
Hi acko,

Three questions:

1. The u.fl and 2.54/5mm pin header stuff at the top centre of the combo you've just shown, are they just there to change termination style available depending on input devices i2s style?

2. With the combo boards is deleting options from the combination a possibility? Ie to purchase the one pictured above without synch master clock, spdif and usb?

3. What is the purpose of the onboard osc in a system with the synch master clock integrated?

A few of us Queenslanders had the opportunity to listen to qusp's ackodac on the weekend at a small get together, I had heard it a few other times before that though, very enjoyable. I'm saving for my own :)

Last edited:
I don't have any pics but I believe vitals of the system were nattonrice stick pre-regs, acko AKR, acko AKD12P, SPDIF input via I2S FIFO, 'The Wire' BAL-BAL headphone amp and IV + HD600 that we were listening to. The same system that had qusp posting eargasm and gushing audiophool speak in the FIFO thread not too long ago! For good reason too IMO.

There was some technical difficulties with the usb device power cycling (and having never hooked that device up to either the 2 computers I bought along for the day we weren't savvy to the nuances I guess) but only XLR outputs from that system and nothing that took an XLR input on the day.

Hi acko,

Three questions:

1. The u.fl and 2.54/5mm pin header stuff at the top centre of the combo you've just shown, are they just there to change termination style available depending on input devices i2s style?

u.fl is used for MCLK inputs. All digital signal inputs are w.fl types. No header options. I have got adapter kits for selected transports like EXA2UI, Empirical Audio OFFRamp4 USBPAL and Hiface that would make neat connections to the DAC inputs. Will post pics soon.

2. With the combo boards is deleting options from the combination a possibility? Ie to purchase the one pictured above without synch master clock, spdif and usb?

Yes, you can opt out and price will reduce accordingly

3. What is the purpose of the onboard osc in a system with the synch master clock integrated?
Ok, shown was stock DAC module that had XO mounted already. This will be removed eventually when Sync Master Clock is used (undergoing testing now). Also, the XO for the Sync Master in the pic is CCHD957 series (45 & 49MHz) but this will be changed to NDK ones (90 & 98MHz ECL types) as soon as I receive them ~3wks and will update.

Hi Guys

As some of you may or may not know, there is another thread on the Oppo 95 with the ES9018 Sabre DAC - and upgrades.

This thread is of course very different, but I think it would be nice to pass the on in the spirit of supporting the DIY fraternity.

The max clock frequency that is recommended is 100MHz.

I have been experimenting with oscillators up to 125MHz.

Also, there has been questions asked about using synchronous clock frequency.

But by far the best result has come from using 125MHz "SAW" Oscillator.

This has nothing to do with the shape of the waveform. In fact SAW Oscillators are designed for much higher frequency stable operation, up to GigaHertz range and usually, from what I have seen, start from about 50MHz and up.

The price varies a a lot, but the one we are talking about here is quite inexpensive, in fact cheap.

Source: Element14 (Farnell) Part # 1907485

Datasheet Here: www.farnell.com/datasheets/1563925.pdf

I suggested it to one Oppo 95 DIYer I suggested it to:

"Yes, indeed... I can confirm it. This oscillator is the best of all I`ve tried in this mod. Thanks for advice! More detailed sound stage, better defined everything in the stage, and an exceptional deep/natural bass... I will never go back to 100Mhz oscillator, no matter [even if] it is called Crystek..."

Now it's up to you guys to try it.

Cheers, Joe R.

Last edited:
Master Clock

Dear Acko,

I found "TURBO Master Clock 100M - AKX 701 (NEW RELEASE)" on your blog page.
I really hope the quality of the OSCs can meet your expectation of highly sophisticated taste and make you happy!

Best regards,
Bunpei

Hello Bunpei,

Thank you for your interest. This is a new design and I am preparing it for comparison tests different types of master clock arrangements to see it is really worth the extra cost and effort. All indications (from your own tests and mine) are that it would be beneficial. Of Joe's recommendation (SAW XO) will also be considered...

Cheers, Acko

Hi Guys

I have been experimenting with oscillators up to 125MHz.

Also, there has been questions asked about using synchronous clock frequency.

But by far the best result has come from using 125MHz "SAW" Oscillator.

This has nothing to do with the shape of the waveform. In fact SAW Oscillators are designed for much higher frequency stable operation, up to GigaHertz range and usually, from what I have seen, start from about 50MHz and up.

The price varies a a lot, but the one we are talking about here is quite inexpensive, in fact cheap.

Source: Element14 (Farnell) Part # 1907485

Datasheet Here: www.farnell.com/datasheets/1563925.pdf

Now it's up to you guys to try it.

Cheers, Joe R.

Hi Joe,

125MHz XO on a 100MHz part would need some caution wouldn't it , unless you have found some ways of avoiding damage to the DAC chip (or it is simply OK)

Components can be cheap but how much would your complete clock module cost. Any pics to show? Any samples that you could loan for tests? After all the clock module is external to this DAC.

Low phase noise is a definite benefit but Synchronous clocking sounded better than async one from my own tests and that from others. You may not have tested this mode but I am assuming with the parts that you are using it may not be possible to get the integral multiple sampling frequency types (unless special order at higher costs). Plus you wanted to avoid all the complexities of clock division and transport modification especially on a commercial product like Oppo BD

It will be interesting to see if this EPSON XO is available in a 98.304MHz and 90.3136MHz parts and then we can do clock division on it using the AKX701 board and sync it to the DAC/transport.

Cheers, Acko

Hi Joe,

125MHz XO on a 100MHz part would need some caution wouldn't it , unless you have found some ways of avoiding damage to the DAC chip (or it is simply OK)

We have had no problems whatsoever and have tried a number of frequencies up to 125MHz. I doubt that damage could happen, more than either it "takes" to or it does not. I have a friend who have tried higher than 27MHz oscillators in multi-players, never did any damage. What did happen is that certain functions just didn't work and then reverted to working when also reverting to specified frequency. For example, Mediatek chips are common in Oppos and many others and have lots of integrated functions. Upping the frequency it may mean you loose USB interface for example.

Now being running the ES9018 with the SAW XO 125MHz for weeks - everything is normal. The master clock on the Mediatek chip has been upgraded, but no change in frequency.

Components can be cheap but how much would your complete clock module cost. Any pics to show? Any samples that you could loan for tests? After all the clock module is external to this DAC.

I would love the TFL to be tried on your DAC and sure we could work something out, at least to do it on a trial basis, that should not be hard to do - and it will come with a SAW XO.

Low phase noise is a definite benefit but Synchronous clocking sounded better than async one from my own tests and that from others. You may not have tested this mode...
It will be interesting to see if this EPSON XO is available in a 98.304MHz and 90.3136MHz parts and then we can do clock division on it using the AKX701 board and sync it to the DAC/transport.

I can see where you are coming from - but even if they were available, would you find a way to switch between them, CD/SACD and 24bit PCM?

On paper a good idea, and been thinking along these lines as well (not switching though). But have not seen SAW XO available at synchronous frequencies. But they may be found...?

But it seems the type of XO is more important, it's goodness if I may be coy? This led us to SAW XO as these high frequencies are suppose to be its forte'.

But trying the TFL with your DAC is something that I would love to do. I could set one up in "outrigger" mode - done that before, but it would work best if you could bring your DAC here and I could get it ready. The way I have in mind it can be done quickly if here in my workshop and you looking over my shoulder. And it would be OK by me to take it away for appraisal - but first have a listen in a pretty interesting system here.

So... let's do it, no need to put monetary impediments in the way first.

Cheers, Joe R.

Last edited:
Master Clock

We have had no problems whatsoever and have tried a number of frequencies up to 125MHz. I doubt that damage could happen, more than either it "takes" to or it does not. I have a friend who have tried higher than 27MHz oscillators in multi-players, never did any damage. What did happen is that certain functions just didn't work and then reverted to working when also reverting to specified frequency. For example, Mediatek chips are common in Oppos and many others and have lots of integrated functions. Upping the frequency it may mean you loose USB interface for example.

Now being running the ES9018 with the SAW XO 125MHz for weeks - everything is normal. The master clock on the Mediatek chip has been upgraded, but no change in frequency.
Ok, great but I will also need to check with ESS if there are any other issues to be aware of. Of course no harm testing one for myself, will do so sometime.

Acko said:
Synchronous clocking... You may not have tested this mode but I am assuming with the parts that you are using it may not be possible to get the integral multiple sampling frequency types (unless special order at higher costs). Plus you wanted to avoid all the complexities of clock division and transport modification especially on a commercial product like Oppo BD
Joe Rasmussen said:
I can see where you are coming from - but even if they were available, would you find a way to switch between them, CD/SACD and 24bit PCM?

Yes, that is the low down but there are plans for an I2S multiplexer or a dual input port DAC design in the near future.

Joe Rasmussen said:
But have not seen SAW XO available at synchronous frequencies. But they may be found...?
see if EPSON could do it. Hmm ... I see that the 98.304MHz is available.
So if we can get them to do a 90.3136MHz then we are in!
Price?
The NDK ones as used on the AKX701 are custom built (USD70 each) and - nearly 3 months lead time!

Joe Rasmussen said:
But it seems the type of XO is more important, it's goodness if I may be coy? This led us to SAW XO as these high frequencies are suppose to be its forte'.

I would love the TFL to be tried on your DAC and sure we could work something out, at least to do it on a trial basis, that should not be hard to do - and it will come with a SAW XO.

But trying the TFL with your DAC is something that I would love to do. I could set one up in "outrigger" mode - done that before, but it would work best if you could bring your DAC here and I could get it ready. The way I have in mind it can be done quickly if here in my workshop and you looking over my shoulder. And it would be OK by me to take it away for appraisal - but first have a listen in a pretty interesting system here.

So... let's do it, no need to put monetary impediments in the way first.

So it actually based on your Terra Firma Clock then, where the original Tentlab XO will be replaced by this new SAW XO? Some indication on price is would be most appreciated as folks may want to consider this option. Of course I am more than happy to collaborate if it benefits the project. Bunpei and myself did something similar for more than a year now to come up with the current design

I will probably do my own tests first with your recommended 125MHz one to see if a low cost async option could upstage something something more elaborate. Will be in touch.

Cheers, Acko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.