Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 09:24 PM   #691
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Hi Acko,

- Possibility for a stand-alone 3.3V ultra low noise reg? ie just the one reg on its own rather than the complete kit of all regs required for the AKD12/18.
-
Was meant for the DAC Analog supplies actually but possible to roll out other types, so long used for low power applications <50mA ....
__________________
AckoDAC Project
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 10:35 PM   #692
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
... If you can arrange samples for 90.3136Mhz and 98.304Mhz versons from EPSON that would be great for synchronous clocking! ...
Hi, Joe!

May I ask you one question? Have you ever tested a "synchronous master clocking scheme" on ES9018 in your environment?

In my case, once I experienced the configuration, I have completely lost my interest on any clock frequencies other than 90.3136 MHz and 98.304 MHz.

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 12:51 AM   #693
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Hi, Joe!

In my case, once I experienced the configuration, I have completely lost my interest on any clock frequencies other than 90.3136 MHz and 98.304 MHz.

Bunpei
The same here!

If Joe can help source samples of SAW versions for the above frequencies from Epson then we can get the ball rolling. We believe you have made contact with Espon while in Singapore...

Also, tell us what are the best power supplies and filtering schemes that would suit the SAW XO best. How much would a complete XO module cost with all things added?
__________________
AckoDAC Project
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 03:45 AM   #694
diyAudio Member
 
Joe Rasmussen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
The same here!

If Joe can help source samples of SAW versions for the above frequencies from Epson then we can get the ball rolling. We believe you have made contact with Epson while in Singapore...
Yes, it has been tried, not by me and not using SAW oscillators. They won't make the synchronous frequencies unless you order a thousand, in fact any frequency.

As I said, I know somebody who has tried various synchronous frequencies and I suggested a 100MHz SAW which he liked better than others he had tried . There is of course a lot of 24 bit Flac files out there and that is where hi-res music is headed via downloading. You can see where I am going with this, if going down that route, you would have to switch be between different oscillator/frequencies. But I am inclined to stay with 100MHz and just find the best one - even if there will be arguments about that.

I have a Crystek 957 100MHz I need to try - a Buffalo user kindly sent it to me - I am snowed under right now with a studio repair job, but hoping next week to compare against the SAW. I will be about the seventh person trying this particular comparison - and so far the numbers have favoured the SAW. Still, I will be as objective as can be and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
..

Also, tell us what are the best power supplies and filtering schemes that would suit the SAW XO best. How much would a complete XO module cost with all things added?
It's a very low noise with extreme high PSRR - servo-controlled to an extremely low frequency, so low it doesn't make sense on paper. As you can imagine, it would take days to come up and stabilise to 3.3V, so a timer and relay kickstarts the servo. When it is stable, it stores over 10 Farad (@3.3V) of energy. Don't ask me why, it just works and it works for people I have done this with. Mind you, this is the more extreme version I do when the Sabre DAC is used.

Based on what I just said, there are lots of people out there who could build this.

Cost? Depends, but I won't do it for cheap. I also totally guarantee this and back it to the hilt. I will also recycle for future use - only need to buy it once.

Cheers, Joe
__________________
The "Elsinore Project" DIY Speaker System
Custom Analogue Audio - we also support and promote non-profit DIY

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 30th January 2013 at 03:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 12:02 PM   #695
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Dear Joe,

I interpreted your previous post directed to acko as;
You have not experienced any synchronous master clocking of ES9018 by yourself and have no definite plan to try it.

Best regards,
Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 12:15 PM   #696
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
Something missing from the line-up is finally here. Set of individual low-noise regulators for the DAC modules AKD12/18. AKR Series MKII. Previously available with the Combo boards only.
Hey Acko - I don't see any reason these couldn't be used in a Buffalo build, correct?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 02:16 AM   #697
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
It's a very low noise with extreme high PSRR - servo-controlled to an extremely low frequency, so low it doesn't make sense on paper. As you can imagine, it would take days to come up and stabilise to 3.3V, so a timer and relay kickstarts the servo. When it is stable, it stores over 10 Farad (@3.3V) of energy. Don't ask me why, it just works and it works for people I have done this with. Mind you, this is the more extreme version I do when the Sabre DAC is used.

Based on what I just said, there are lots of people out there who could build this.

Cost? Depends, but I won't do it for cheap. I also totally guarantee this and back it to the hilt. I will also recycle for future use - only need to buy it once.

Cheers, Joe
Sound good! Looks like a very specialised design/product. I suggest you start a new thread for those interested
__________________
AckoDAC Project

Last edited by acko; 31st January 2013 at 02:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 06:16 AM   #698
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
sounds like a low noise battery charger.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 07:51 AM   #699
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default AKR Series MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRogers View Post
Hey Acko - I don't see any reason these couldn't be used in a Buffalo build, correct?
Yes, it can be used with the BUFFs or other similar DACs but physical arrangement suits the AKD12/18 DACs
__________________
AckoDAC Project
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2013, 09:00 AM   #700
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Hi Acko. I'm building a tiny external board for my AKD18, which will split one incoming u.fl (from WaveIO) to up to three outgoing w.fls. The board is very, very simple, but I'm wondering: is it a good idea to add decoupling to it? If yes, what are apropriate values? 0.01-0.1uF?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WM8816 based pre-amp panson_hk Chip Amps 13 22nd May 2009 02:16 PM
DIY ESL III (based on an ER Audio Kit) jasonlky Planars & Exotics 7 23rd January 2008 07:09 AM
UCD based amp oldmaelstrom2 Class D 3 27th June 2007 10:10 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2