Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 05:57 AM   #661
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default AKD16-combo

There is a controller board with Vol Cntrl shown as AKC16 in the pic. Most likely, this would be packaged(panelized) with the main DAC board, all for the same price. Again no components for the controller loaded. The programmed PIC MCU will be supplied to those who wish to use this controller. Of course you can use Arduino or similar controllers.

Last edited by acko; 14th January 2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 14th January 2013, 07:59 AM   #662
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
... The programmed PIC MCU will be supplied to those who wish to use this controller .....
at cost of chip only. Free Firmware
Old 19th January 2013, 01:47 AM   #663
diyAudio Member

Default Wifi and Graphics Display

Hi All,

There has been numerous requests on extending the control of DAC (AKD12/18) using a remote device like smart phones or tablets. This can actually be achieved using the AKC12 controller and the wifi module AKW801. The AKW801 connects to the COM port of AKC12 and a mobile device can control the DAC using the supplied comms API. A terminal App can do this already but for something fancy you will need to code a snazzy looking App. Although a programmer myself I am little old school now trying to get around Android or Objective C (Apple). Possibly if I have a bit more time I could do one ....

Is there anyone out there who could help and I will be more than happy to guide you. You can get your own cut from the App store . Of course there are commercial guys who could do this but asking min $5K!

The other device that can be hooked up with the AKC12 is an OLED (3") touchscreen display. I would most likely do this as it is more C code on a thin framework.

Of course all these are cosmetics really so priority is low from my side.
Old 19th January 2013, 01:52 AM   #664
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi All,

There has been numerous requests on extending the control of DAC (AKD12/18) using a remote device like smart phones or tablets. This can actually be achieved using the AKC12 controller and the wifi module AKW801. The AKW801 connects to the COM port of AKC12 and a mobile device can control the DAC using the supplied comms API. A terminal App can do this already but for something fancy you will need to code a snazzy looking App. Although a programmer myself I am little old school now trying to get around Android or Objective C (Apple). Possibly if I have a bit more time I could do one ....

Is there anyone out there who could help and I will be more than happy to guide you. You can get your own cut from the App store . Of course there are commercial guys who could do this but asking min $5K!

The other device that can be hooked up with the AKC12 is an OLED (3") touchscreen display. I would most likely do this as it is more C code on a thin framework.

Of course all these are cosmetics really so priority is low from my side.
Acko I'm just walking out the door and will be out for a few hours.

I'll send you an email tonight/tomorrow with my ideas that I have in mind for something like this IMO a web interface would be nicer than trying to maintain multiple platform specific apps ... so I am planning on moving towards something like that and I also want to include provisions to work around Ian's FIFO (and AKT / super transport) delay for video synch on HTPC or desktop PC applications.

Last edited by hochopeper; 19th January 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:26 AM   #665
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There are on-board LDO/low noise regulators for each of the power input of the DAC chip. Master supply is 5V (4.5V-12V) for DAC module and biploar +/5V to +/15V for IV stage.
I know you're busy with Amanero board design stuff at the moment Acko but I was daydreaming about AKD16-combo on the way home and I was wondering about PSU options. Is the above quote still the case with the current design? Or are separate regulators to be provided by the builder external to the AKD16-combo pcb? Just a yes/no to LDO positions being there for the DAC regulators or not would probably be enough info for me at the moment.
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:55 PM   #666
diyAudio Member

Default AKD16 Combo Power Supplies

There are no LDOs on board now.

Power requirements for the DAC side are:
Analog supplies: AVCC L/R = 3.3V (possibly up to 3.6V for increased headroom)
Digital core: DVDD = 1.2V
Digital logic: DVCC T/B = 3.3V

For IV side:
Bipolar +/-6V to +/-15V
or
Dual independent 6V to 15V supplies (e.g batteries)
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:55 PM   #667
aos is offline aos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Any reason for not including onboard regulators? Having to supply them externally greatly increases complexity and total space and I can't imagine the performance being better when using a forest of wires to connect supplies.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:02 AM   #668
aos is offline aos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Please ignore the previous post, I replied to wrong thread.
Old 27th January 2013, 10:52 PM   #669
diyAudio Member

Default DAC Power Supplies

Something missing from the line-up is finally here. Set of individual low-noise regulators for the DAC modules AKD12/18. AKR Series MKII. Previously available with the Combo boards only.
Attached Images
File Type: png AKR MKII.png (807.7 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by acko; 27th January 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 27th January 2013, 11:51 PM   #670
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Hi Acko

Re: "Surface Acoustic Wave" 100MHz Oscillator.

I don't know if you are aware, but some of the Buffalo guys are experimenting with the 100MHz "SAW" 3.3V oscillator - comparing it against the Crystek 957 version. A number of them are coming around to the view that the "SAW" version is superior, definitely different and very honest to a fault, shades of more detail, more air around instruments, at bit less romantic but more lively pace rhythms etc and one commented that the bass was more solid and deeper.

I myself have not compared it against the Crystek yet (one of the Buffalo guys in Malaysia kindly sent me one, just got it but not listened yet), but it is easily better than any other I have tried so far. It needs a good 3.3V supply - as you would imagine - and I am sure you have that. The form factor is the standard 5x7mm.

Give me a call on 9607-4650 or 0412-203382 and if you like, I can post one to you, no charge (they are not expensive). It would be interesting to see what you make of it, as they do sound rather different.

These oscillators were never designed for audio use (military as they are very sturdy and microwave and networking) and don't come in frequencies for the usual audio use and the lowest is 50MHz. But of course the ES9018 can indeed take it, so the "SAW" is only really compatible with the Sabre DAC.

Cheers, Joe R.

Hide this!Advertise here!