ackoDAC based on ES9018 - Page 65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 02:43 PM   #641
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
QFT.
yep, not a comment on the cost of the one above, short run Rogers Teflon/2oz copper/gold plate PCBs with custom logic, controlled impedance layout and flying probe testing, dont come cheap... not cheap at all. I think its totally fair and its inline with the quality of the rest of the high end ackodac modules, but its quality that isnt really needed here because it exceeds the quality of anything else that will surround it.


also to be fair, it shouldnt be expected that its that cheap without a significant number of orders prepaid, just like the amanero board. afterall the only reason its so cheap here on the forum is because we on the forum basically bankrolled large production

Last edited by qusp; 10th January 2013 at 02:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 03:57 PM   #642
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yep, not a comment on the cost of the one above, short run Rogers Teflon/2oz copper/gold plate PCBs with custom logic, controlled impedance layout and flying probe testing, dont come cheap... not cheap at all. I think its totally fair and its inline with the quality of the rest of the high end ackodac modules, but its quality that isnt really needed here because it exceeds the quality of anything else that will surround it.


also to be fair, it shouldnt be expected that its that cheap without a significant number of orders prepaid, just like the amanero board. afterall the only reason its so cheap here on the forum is because we on the forum basically bankrolled large production
IMHO, I think there would good interest in an fairly inexpensive Amanero Fifo interface board. I think if we started a seperate, dedicated thread for it, to give the idea more exposure, it would get a LOT of attention.

When I asked about price and schedule, this was really what I was looking for so I would be in for one.

Also wondering what you would do for DSD?

Randy
__________________
My system is here
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/2005/10/my-system.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 04:19 PM   #643
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I think its up to acko how to proceed from here, but I agree it would get more attention elsewhere and would not distract from his core modules, I wouldnt want this thread filled with a heap of basic questions about a design that really has little to do with the Ackodac. I would not blame acko for not being interested in Design by committee with such a large group (thread about what people want should be avoided, especially at a low price point), its a nightmare. so really it would be for him to decide the direction, as it would really have to be in the vendors area as it will probably get a bit of traffic

what do you mean what to do about DSD? clearly Acko is already working with this board, good chance hes got it under control. you wouldnt want to do anything specifically much for DSD because ive noticed a pretty small number of the buyers are using hires, let alone DSD. only things to worry about would be the DSDOE pin, the rest is already under control and does not need anything different to PCM.

if you mean switching Left and Right? I havent checked what the current status is of that in the firmware, but really that should be handled elsewhere, getting the pins to switch physically/electrically would blow out the complexity (it would be a pita actually) and if you want to keep the cost down, best leave that for software.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:17 PM   #644
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I think its up to acko how to proceed from here, but I agree it would get more attention elsewhere and would not distract from his core modules, I wouldnt want this thread filled with a heap of basic questions about a design that really has little to do with the Ackodac. I would not blame acko for not being interested in Design by committee with such a large group (thread about what people want should be avoided, especially at a low price point), its a nightmare. so really it would be for him to decide the direction, as it would really have to be in the vendors area as it will probably get a bit of traffic
i
I was thinking of something like the Amanero group buy thread, where Acko would offer a group buy of a "product".
I was not thinking of a design related thread when I suggested a seperate thread.
And it's obviously up to Acko, so I won't bring it up again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
what do you mean what to do about DSD? clearly Acko is already working with this board, good chance hes got it under control. you wouldnt want to do anything specifically much for DSD because ive noticed a pretty small number of the buyers are using hires, let alone DSD. only things to worry about would be the DSDOE pin, the rest is already under control and does not need anything different to PCM.

if you mean switching Left and Right? I havent checked what the current status is of that in the firmware, but really that should be handled elsewhere, getting the pins to switch physically/electrically would blow out the complexity (it would be a pita actually) and if you want to keep the cost down, best leave that for software.
You're right, in thinking about it some more, I don't have any questions about DSD. I won't elaborate so I don't embarass myself

Randy
__________________
My system is here
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/2005/10/my-system.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 09:02 PM   #645
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
hehe no worries, yeah actually what am I talking about, Acko seems to be the master of keeping a low profile and just every now and again hey presto I have a new device.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 09:19 PM   #646
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
TNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
Mid-range product using 9016 DAC is on the way. Will have DAC, Controller and IV stages integrated with several options. ETA ~4-6wks
Will this happen? Balanced?

Nice designs in general!

Acko - You have PM!

/

Last edited by TNT; 10th January 2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: pm
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 09:47 PM   #647
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Amanero Isolator

I am looking at a very basic isolator and reclocker board for the Amanero to keep costs down. This is not part of the core product line, mainly for experimentation and support is limited. Concept is from my posts earlier but with some elaborate sections removed (will update pics shortly).

Pass through of DSD and PCM as produced by the Amanero board. There is no FIFO or processing, just depending on clean DAC master clock to reclock the FFs and negate any effects of additive jitter caused by the isolator. For ESS DACs only. Re-Clock Freq-100MHz for 9012/16/18 parts and 50MHz for 9023

Thinking of just the bare boards with BOM and schematic for subscribers. Price is looking ~USD25 for the bare boards. Maybe produce a small batch or (group buy like this).
Those who have PMed me will be also be notified once specs/pricing have been finalised

The full fledged reclocker/isolator design for AKD12P series will be supplied with the DAC Combo system or bundled with the AKU series
__________________
AckoDAC Project
Now Open:Sync Clock GB

Last edited by acko; 10th January 2013 at 10:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 10:27 PM   #648
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
I am looking at a very basic isolator and reclocker board for the Amanero to keep costs down. This is not part of the core product line, mainly for experimentation and support is limited. Concept is from my posts earlier but with some elaborate sections removed (will update pics shortly).

Pass through of DSD and PCM as produced by the Amanero board. There is no FIFO or processing, just depending on clean DAC master clock to reclock the FFs and negate any effects of additive jitter caused by the isolator. For ESS DACs only. Re-Clock Freq-100MHz for 9012/16/18 parts and 50MHz for 9023

Thinking of just the bare boards with BOM and schematic for subscribers. Price is looking ~USD25 for the bare boards. Maybe produce a small batch or group buy will be started.
Those who have PMed me will be also be notified once specs/pricing have been finalised

The full fledged reclocker/isolator design for AKD12P series will be supplied with the DAC Combo system or bundled with the AKU series
Sounds good to me

Thanks for this project.

I'm thinking Amanero + this + 9016 would be a good foundation for a nice high bang for the buck dac.

Randy
__________________
My system is here
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/2005/10/my-system.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 08:14 AM   #649
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Interesting Acko!
You will have a PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 08:31 AM   #650
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
@esl 63, check the link Acko posted

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WM8816 based pre-amp panson_hk Chip Amps 13 22nd May 2009 02:16 PM
DIY ESL III (based on an ER Audio Kit) jasonlky Planars & Exotics 7 23rd January 2008 07:09 AM
UCD based amp oldmaelstrom2 Class D 3 27th June 2007 10:10 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2