ackoDAC based on ES9018 - Page 56 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2012, 09:52 AM   #551
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
they are the same polymer caps used throughout the ackodac stuff. lowest Z on the market afaik. the Panasonic SP-Cap (Special Polymer)

looking good AR2! one thing though mate, make sure you dont make the analogue current output connections too long so you can have short i2s connections. I wopuld hazard a gues that a few cm extra w.fl cable will damage the sound less than a few cm extra twisted pair analogue cable
Thank you for suggestion Qusp. What I did not show in these shots is that on the regulator side of the board, where two longer 6/32 screws are sticking out, that is where Legato I/V board is going just slightly above the regulators. That is why those screws are long. It is parallel to the DAC board, which also provides minimum distance between the two boards. Twisted wires shown in the shoot I left at that moment longer, because Legato was not installed yet, but when I finished I shortened them to the shortest possible length. That is the beauty of this mechanical design that everything is very close to each other. My I2S W.FL wires are 60mm each. And MCKL U.FL as well. Analog wires are about that as well. When I am done I will post complete pictures. I did a lots of thinking and several iterations of the design. This configuration works perfect for dual mono, only for that regulators are on the front of DACs, and two DACs are back to back. Still it gives the smallest footprint. Also added benefit is with Legato board, that has resistors that are operating with fairly high temperature. In vertical position, they are above transistors on the board and close to the top, which provides maximum cooling.
Old 8th November 2012, 10:01 AM   #552
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
I'd be tempted to twist all of the power supply leads together too ... as in each pair twisted together rather than all running parallel like they are at the moment.

Otherwise that looks really, really nice! Given me some ideas about the next iteration of my case layout too.
I am glad if you could find my work helpful. It is not easy packing it all together and closest to each other. Thank you for the suggestion regarding wires, and sure makes all the sense
Old 12th November 2012, 06:15 AM   #553
Master Burner

Quote:
they are the same polymer caps used throughout the ackodac stuff. lowest Z on the market afaik. the Panasonic SP-Cap (Special Polymer)

looking good AR2! one thing though mate, make sure you dont make the analogue current output connections too long so you can have short i2s connections. I wopuld hazard a gues that a few cm extra w.fl cable will damage the sound less than a few cm extra twisted pair analogue cable
Here is the implementation of whole DAC board and I/V stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC1872-1.jpg (668.3 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1876.jpg (723.0 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1878.jpg (808.6 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1887.jpg (528.7 KB, 266 views)
Old 12th November 2012, 06:18 AM   #554
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

excellent! a little beyond what the makers of that case had in mind i'm sure
Old 12th November 2012, 06:27 AM   #555
Master Burner

Quote:
excellent! a little beyond what the makers of that case had in mind i'm sure
Hehehe, it is way better than what was in. Although, mechanically, it is a great design. The top and side cover is one heavy piece and it slides in through the rails on the side. Just two screws from the rear tighten two stops so that cover cannot slide back and that is it. One of the best designs I have seen.
Old 12th November 2012, 07:43 AM   #556
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Looks great! There is even space to replace the Legato with a SEN I/V to take it to the next level
Old 12th November 2012, 08:48 AM   #557
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

That looks amazing. Great work MR. AR2

I am hooking up my own Noritake CU20045 – UW5J inspired by your project later on (waiting for a second arduino controller to test with). Migrating to Acko dac`s next time out as well.
Old 13th November 2012, 02:35 PM   #558
Master Burner

In order to avoid to be redundant, and yet to provide readers of both threads with final pictures, here you will find images of the completed project, and some more info on evolvement of I/O, buffer boards and crossover.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

and some more info on evolvement of I/O, buffer boards and crossover.

Old 13th November 2012, 02:43 PM   #559
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwikse View Post
That looks amazing. Great work MR. AR2

I am hooking up my own Noritake CU20045 UW5J inspired by your project later on (waiting for a second arduino controller to test with). Migrating to Acko dac`s next time out as well.
Thanks Gwikse.
For Noritake VFD, it is pretty much the same like using regular LCD, but you will have to provide a separate 5V power supply for it. As far as I remember it takes around 250 mA, and you do not need brightness adjustment pin from Arduino. Noritake is pin to pin compatible to standard LCD.
Old 13th November 2012, 02:48 PM   #560
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
Looks great! There is even space to replace the Legato with a SEN I/V to take it to the next level
What is SEN I/V? If you have a link I would love to see it. In my set up Legato is just a small portion of the full I/V. There is Lundahl transformer and jFet buffer behind it, but in separate case, see here:

Hide this!Advertise here!