ackoDAC based on ES9018 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2009, 06:08 AM   #21
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritosine View Post
if I sign NDA Im goin to know more about the proposed crossover idea?
Yes, you will find all this information in the full datasheet
Old 5th October 2009, 10:13 PM   #22
Gaston is offline Gaston  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
3. Final design will use ES9012-2Ch (instead of ES9018 -8Ch) as this appears to sound better for stereo. Unless there is request for 8 Ch version
Personally I would be extremely interested in a 8ch version. If needed I will front some donation(paypal preferably, but I have an account with westpac) to make it happen...

Please PM if any support is needed.
Regards
/Gaston
Old 5th October 2009, 10:48 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

ok I don know how that crossover works at all , from what I gathered its simply the anti alias filter that precedes the asrc, and its 512 taps long . I don know If I want to sign that NDA. The stuff I would want, would only work If I subtract one filtered channel out of one thats phase inverted and 'unfiltered', doing that in the analog realm seems too distant and cant think of it seriously hehe.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by tritosine; 5th October 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 5th October 2009, 11:16 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi Gaston,

8-Ch version is not really shelved, just that 9012 being custom designed for stereo has fewer output lines and makes the physical layout neater and less criss-crossed trying to group all the outputs, so possibly that explains the apparent slight advantage during listening tests.

So both versions will be made available for release. Thanks for your support. Will contact you soon.

Also, for your information these parts can be configured for pure mono mode, taking 1 channel of direct PCM per board for really top end application. Anyone intersted?

Regards, acko
Old 5th October 2009, 11:30 PM   #25
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Interested. Is the 9012 not a Vout DAC so no need for and I/V stage?
May recall wrong.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:21 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
Interested. Is the 9012 not a Vout DAC so no need for and I/V stage?
May recall wrong.
Output can be configured as Vout for easy interface but for best results Iout is recommended and this requires a suitable IV stage
Old 6th October 2009, 12:35 AM   #27
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
8-Ch version is not really shelved, just that 9012 being custom designed for stereo has fewer output lines and makes the physical layout neater and less criss-crossed trying to group all the outputs, so possibly that explains the apparent slight advantage during listening tests.
Can you say in what configuration you compared the ES9018 with ES9102 DACs? In what way did you find the 2 channel bettered the 8? This is interesting research acko & deserves more airing. Unfortunately, the 2 channel DAC chip is just as expensive as the 8, so no savings to be had.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:27 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

perhaps opamps stand 4mA better than 16. Anyway Im out , I wont sign no NDA. Also unsubscribed.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:40 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

the ES9012 is only simpler to engineer with (if you need a stereo application). Many pins are not connected, so they can be left floating.
Old 7th October 2009, 01:20 AM   #30
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

Any possibility of a differential output? I believe that the Twisted Pear version of the Sabre DAC parallels the outputs of the multichannel DAC and then uses a differential I/V stage, which is appealing to me since there are not many differential DIY DAC options out there. I don't know if a lot of other people are interested in differential output, it just seems to make sense to implement it when it is possible.

Thank you for your time and work, I look forward to having a chance to buy a kit from you.

Best,
Aaron.

Hide this!Advertise here!