ackoDAC based on ES9018 - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2010, 02:55 PM   #161
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

no problem, if youve got the coin and the knowhow, the borbely kits are probably the best choice out of those IMO, but for a balanced build you need 2 of them, so it gets steep pretty quick and the D1B1 is basically pretty similar to his I/V stage anyway. tho would require a bit more experience perhaps. erno is apparently working on a fully differential design too, but unsure of how long it will be till release. the QRV08 should be very high quality and clean with that power supply onboard, I just worry a little about the combination being a little TOO clean with not enough balls. with any luck the fact i'm taking it up a notch by making a dual mono bridged version, with mundorf MKP 3300uf mlytic in place of the stock PS elna 2200uf caps and most likely upgrade transformers from a fairly small 4va to 15va and removing the input caps altogether due to CMMR eill help out with this
Old 17th March 2010, 03:15 PM   #162
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
The output impedance of the Sabre is 400 ohms (200 on each phase).
Thanks for clarification Leo,
All these values running around in my head - I can't keep track of. That's why I look up datasheets when I am ready to do any mods.
Old 17th March 2010, 05:26 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

195 actually but I wonder given the slightly unconventional output previously mentioned whether we can act as normal? also I guess the voltage outs will be completely different again. the 9012 is also slightly different in setup, so I wonder if they are the same. i'm going for the 9012 on mine, there is even less info getting around about this chip and although very similar to 9018, I am sure there will be some differences since the channels are already combined down to 2 in the chip

so I dont think this changes your info on 900R john, they are 2 totally separate stats and although related somehow i'm sure, I was told by brian some time ago that to add any more than about 700-750R (cant remember the exact number) a the outputs of the b32 that it would become a voltage output, and I think this was per pole, so matches well with your number of 900. that is what I was talking about. so I think it is going to be a bit of a tight squeeze with loading the XFR if it is 600R like I think (I will confirm with Bud)

yes a datasheet would indeed be nice :S

Last edited by qusp; 17th March 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:55 PM   #164
Banned

Hi All,
Acko has told me that it's alive & undergoing sonic testing as soon as he gets back from a 2 day business trip. So we should soon be seeing the fruits of this particular labour & enjoying it's sound/experimenting with the options
Old 25th March 2010, 09:40 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Anyone have an idea of periodic jitter reduction vs frequency on sabre dac?
Old 26th March 2010, 11:56 AM   #166
diyAudio Member

indeed, I heard from acko a couple of days ago with this news. He is taking a well earned break and will be back to continue testing and organize release tomorrow. the final BOM is done and I have been given permission to post it in case some wish to start preparing for release.

ackodac BOMs.zip

ackoDAC Setup.zip

there is also an I/V stage PCB using OPA1632 available, but the parts list is still not finalized

Last edited by qusp; 26th March 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 26th March 2010, 07:15 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Many thanks qusp. Very exciting. Time to price this baby out...
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:07 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

Default important ammendment

Hi guys, glad I remembered this, I spotted a typo that had slipped through the cracks for the dac board BOM OU1 decoupling caps, the farnell part number was actually for an X7R part and this wont di at all, i've just noticed that the reg BOMs I posted the other day may have this same mistake on them, the line is listed as a 1206 COG/NPO part in the BOM document, but the farnell part is incorrect. I cant edit the post now, so i'm stuck with it, for the moment, will PM one of the MODs, anyone you guys can recommend? but yeah anyway if anyone is actually at the point of ordering parts, please hold off till tomorrow and i'll confirm with acko, but i'm 99% sure that should be a 1206 COG ceramic, the one used on the dac board is fine; the murata part is COG/NPO.

Last edited by qusp; 2nd April 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:16 PM   #169
Banned

Are you sure, qusp? The Digikey part no in the xls file is correct, I think 490-1767-1-ND. However, there is a minimum order qty of 10 so an order of 20 is needed at $15.60.

Also Mouser is significantly cheaper (what's new) for the Panny SP-Caps (667-EEF-UE0J221LR) 220uf 6.3V 7mOhm @ $3.77 each so about $50 intead of $60
Old 2nd April 2010, 09:27 PM   #170
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default AckoDAC Release

Hi All,

This DAC module has now passed all electrical and sonic tests and pretty much ready for release. All those who have made reservations or enquires have already been contacted. There is a bit more work on the external MCU to optimise performance and test all the listed features. At this stage I am running the DAC in its 'safe' default mode (even then it is very clear and detailed). I am also getting another build ready for 'Qusp' and 'Jkenny' to do more testing with their audio gear to check and compare.
There are lots more things to come and will keep you all posted.

Cheers, Acko

Hide this!Advertise here!