ackoDAC based on ES9018

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys,

couple of questions for the acko-dac team:

is it possible to have more info on the USB DAC Module-AKD-22? it looks like a lot of bang for buck.

how are the hi-face and the dac integrated?

any possibility for external i2s connectivity, both in and out?

how is the power supplied throughout? i d like to experiment with supplies if i get this board :)

does it run of the bus 5v? external regualtion possible? how free
are we regulator-wise?

do you have pictures of the board?

regards,

-py

Last edited:
USB DAC

hi guys,

how are the hi-face and the dac integrated?
All integrated on a single board. HiFace output goes directly to DAC inputs. No cables or interconnects

any possibility for external i2s connectivity, both in and out?
Not for this part, AKD-22 but could create another one with just the DAC only if there is sufficient interest

how is the power supplied throughout? i d like to experiment with supplies if i get this board :)
does it run of the bus 5v? external regualtion possible? how free
are we regulator-wise?

No 5V bus connection. Separate Low noise regulators/filters for all power inputs integrated on board. Options to leave them out and connect your own. Bare boards will be available.

do you have pictures of the board?
in a couple of weeks. AKU-24 by next week

ok thanks.

i for one would be interested in a dac for es9022+akd-24.

else, i think if the the akd-22 had I2S input and output pads, it would make it more appealing because of ultimate flexibility and low cost. One could either upgrade to another dac later-on or feed the dac with another source, like an sd-card player. Now how feasible it is for you, i dont know... but right now what is stopping me from jumping on your akd-22 is that i dont know how hard it would be for me to mod it so to have the features i want...but in the end i just might succumb :)

Last edited:
yes, the akd-22, like the aku-24 includes a hiface OEM async usb module and connects via i2s to the dac on stacking pin-headers, no reason you cant tap i2s there is need be, although you would maybe want to find some way of disconnecting the output when using the dac rather than leaving an open i2s connection floating.

Last edited:
USB DAC

See preview of possible combinations:

1. AKD24 - USB Audio module, HIFace + on-board LN regs + I2S outputs. Premium version will have galvanic isolation

2. AKD20 - DAC only based on 9022 with Crystek 80MHz on-board. External power. SE output

3. AKD22 (not shown) - Combines both 24 and 22 types on a single board

Yes, board is exposed and you connect signals and mod to suit.

Actual board (AKD24) due early next week. Will post pics

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• AKD24 Prev.JPG
    AKD24 Prev.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 671
  • AKD20 Prev.JPG
    AKD20 Prev.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 653
cool. thanks for the pics and details and nice to see there is a lot of options. as i said earlier, i would be in for a akd-24 and akd-20(if akd-20 is not too pricey..) but i would not want to wait too long though, so i might just go with the akd-22. Hope there will be interest but judging from inexistant impressions or build reports of your offerings, i m a bit skeptical.

In the event the akd-20 is produced, will it be posible to run 2 of them in balanced config? i ve heard people doing it but i dont know how difficult it is to set up.

also, is it possible to use the digital vol. control with the es9022?

and does the akd-22 have the crystek 80 mhz oscillator?

Last edited:
just to be more precise regarding the oscillator in my question above:

is the akd-22 precisely an akd24+akd-20? i guess not because the price difference betwwen akd22 and akd24 is only 17$ and the akd-20 has a crystek oscillator wich cost alone 30+$ individually. so the es9022 in the akd-22 runs off the hiface clock is that it? i m not an expert so pardon me if i m off the track.

USB DAC

cool. In the event the akd-20 is produced, will it be posible to run 2 of them in balanced config? i ve heard people doing it but i dont know how difficult it is to set up.
AKD-20 will be produced. Will look into balanced config mode

also, is it possible to use the digital vol. control with the es9022?
No

and does the akd-22 have the crystek 80 mhz oscillator?
Yes, this is a no compromise design with the best of what is currently available.

As for price, there is a generous sponsor who has covered the entire developmment cost and subsidised build cost for the first 10 units of AKD22 :)

After this batch the price will float according to the sum of parts.

Waiting List

Can one check somewhere to see if one is on the wailing list? I believe I did request a unit, but it was a while ago and I'm not sure if I did it or just imagined it. :)

msjjr, Your request sometime back was for a fully boxed unit with all the modules. This is all shaping up now. Please contact again to update your request.

Cheers, Acko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.