ackoDAC based on ES9018 - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2010, 09:56 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidesd View Post
just bypassed the decoupling cap before vdd1.2 (after the 1.2v reg) on the buffalo 1.2 with a teflon ft-3 and it made a noticeable difference
Where does your 1.2V reg get it's power from? Love those FT-3s by the way!
Old 9th March 2010, 12:25 PM   #142
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

oh I totally agree, it wil get a good reg, but probably not the same quality as the analogue supplies, though I will be trying all sorts there
Old 9th March 2010, 01:02 PM   #143
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

originally a sigma22 was supplying it, then i tried the teflon (i like them too.best i tried yet in psu's of my small inventory) mod and then a AA battery directly replacing the reg. the battery killed the "attack" a bit but everything else just made me realize how a good supply can be important. going to try battery supplying the reg next.

i guess we could continue this in another thread(buffalo tweaking?) as i don t want to hijack acko 's?

Last edited by pidesd; 9th March 2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 9th March 2010, 01:17 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

I will be using battery->super regulator for my portable buffalo II.

but yeah lets not get OT, especially since its so close to being in my grubby little hands. well at least gonna start building the I/V and regulator modules shortly
Old 14th March 2010, 08:20 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

For the sake of full disclosure: I'm a complete ignoramus, but know someone who is handy with a soldering iron.

Ideally, I would love to have an Acko-DAC that could work as both a 2-channel or 8-channel DAC and be fed by my Mac Mini via USB or firewire.

Enjoying Burson Audio's basic pre and power amp combo, I would love to employ their op-amps and power regulators in such a DAC.

However, I fear this would blow the budget right out of the water.

Has anyone written a parts list to put together something like this - that they would care to share with us?

Cheers, Luke.

Being the luddite I am, I haven't the faintest as to the logistics and practicality
Old 14th March 2010, 06:53 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
For the sake of full disclosure: I'm a complete ignoramus, but know someone who is handy with a soldering iron.

Ideally, I would love to have an Acko-DAC that could work as both a 2-channel or 8-channel DAC and be fed by my Mac Mini via USB or firewire.
the full 8 channel version wont be available for a little while after the 2 channel, but it will be possible yes

Quote:
Enjoying Burson Audio's basic pre and power amp combo, I would love to employ their op-amps and power regulators in such a DAC.
I have some burson regs and opamps too, but I would not use the regs in this dac, for starters they dont even go low enough re voltage to be of any use (in fact they dont even have a -5v let alone 3v3 and 1v2) but they will also be outgunned by the regs acko has designed IMO, the design is considerably more sophisticated. you could use the opamps on the output and regulate them with the burson regs, but you would have to bridge them as they are not differential/balanced. so realy I dont think they are such a good match, design wise anyway. I wil be trying them in this manner, but regulated with other means. just as part of the I/V comparison I have planned. I do not expect them to win against the other things I have planned. I would also think that the bursons will not provide the DNR provided by some other options, though they of course could still sound quite good

Quote:
However, I fear this would blow the budget right out of the water.
what budget?

Quote:
Has anyone written a parts list to put together something like this - that they would care to share with us?
of course someone has written a parts list hehe, how else do you think acko ordered the parts? no the BOM hasnt been made publicly available yet and the PCBs havent either. testing is still ongoing, though we are not far now

Quote:
Cheers, Luke.

Being the luddite I am, I haven't the faintest as to the logistics and practicality
so it would seem I will be building this up as one of the first people to do so and I do have a number of output stages and regulators planned to test; including the burson opamps and I may even try the regs powering them, along with many variant of super regulator and acko's own designs. I suggest sticking to ackos designs for the low voltage regs or perhaps a modified salas shunt, the paul hynes stuff would get pricey very quickly and the bursons as noted are no use at all.

so perhaps stay on the sideline a little longer while the first round goes out.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:47 PM   #147
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

@ qusp,

if you are still investigating in an output stage, i think ray s cd output stage might be a contender. not a detail monster but it has good bass and soundstage and sounds very natural with the buffalo, but you ll have to tweak it a wee bit. also ray is very easy to talk with.

Ray's Audio Page

Last edited by pidesd; 15th March 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 15th March 2010, 01:57 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

What do you think about Lampirized tube output stage?
Old 15th March 2010, 11:35 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

Thanks qusp for your very helpful answers, it's much appreciated,

I was keen to hear about what parts people are going to be using with this DAC.

Mr. Mantas, I read about the Lampirized tube output stage used with the first TPA Buffalo DAC with interest - he certainly seemed happy with the results.

I look forward to hearing more about what you guys come up with,
Old 16th March 2010, 02:14 AM   #150
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

If I may ask what is the approx estimated price of this dac? Will it be just a board offering, kit or assembled?

Thanks for doing this guys! Much appreciated!

Hide this!Advertise here!