Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2010, 04:53 PM   #121
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Jkeny,

for sure, well the 1v2 analogue reference for the chip could indeed be quite important.
i'm not sure I worded that last post very well. i'm sorted for regulated PSU's for voltages from 5-25vdc and with some changes of reference and trimming, as well as taking the supply for the opamp (on the reg) from before the pregegulator, should get down to 3v3 which will just leave the 1v2. but i'll probably just use my higher voltage regulated PSUs, which are a mix of coffin's mini gold, the TP LCDPS/LCBPS/PLACID BP, a variety of flavors of superegulator (SSR01/02, JSR01, JSR06) from peranders 'sjostromaudio' as well as likely trying out using his rectifier bridges. i've been busy amassing a boatload of regs while I waited for this to be ready. I of course also have some of the salas/iko PCBs pre-ordered etc.

basically the idea will be to try all of them out for the 3v3 as well as acko's, but using my PSUs and likely using ackos 1v2 while giving the salas/disco a go as well later when I get some free time. the 'losers' will end up with the best second place offerings (or simply better suited) on a COD PCM1794A based dac for the workshop driving some small active monitors and the battery powered portable B32v2->4 x AD797->Discrete diamond buffers (so chosen and bought due to the simplified input voltages) will be with me during the day driving my custom IEMs, HD600 or woody Denon D2000 balanced with volumite for volume and i2s->ASRC for input from a modified cowon X5L. I found a really cool tiny balanced connector from neutrik, the minicon connector system and bought some panel mount and inline for the headphone connection.

DIYAUDIO addictive?? well they say the first step is admitting you have a problem
Old 8th February 2010, 05:31 PM   #122
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Hello, my name is John & I have a problem

Ah yes, it's a while since I looked at the Sabre datasheet & I was thinking that the 1V2 was just for digital core voltage, forgot about the analogue VDD_R & L. Indeed they are important, sorry for the mix-up.

You will be a great source of information re various PS on the various chips. Looking forward to your evaluation!
Old 9th February 2010, 12:28 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
Hello, my name is John & I have a problem
no **** you do your as bad as I am

Quote:
Ah yes, it's a while since I looked at the Sabre datasheet & I was thinking that the 1V2 was just for digital core voltage, forgot about the analogue VDD_R & L. Indeed they are important, sorry for the mix-up.
man, no reason to apologize, but yeah I actually think those voltages could be key to high performance with this build

Quote:
You will be a great source of information re various PS on the various chips. Looking forward to your evaluation!
yeah well i've certainly put in the hours and dollars to make a chip in building all of the regulators on the planet even considered a tube rectifier for a bit of fun. hopefully these builds will sate my addiction for a little while. if excucuted well I can see an ackodac->D1B1 or QRV08 x 2 with lightspeed being pretty hard to beat for a while to come. in fact I could see any 'upgrades' past that point being pretty much inaudible. then its time to build myself a set of full bore chipamp or class D active monitor/active crossover system as I think transport, source, line/pre and buffer/headphone amp listening will be taken care of (should bloody well hope so) I can get 200khz to the ackodac, I wonder if any higher is of any use other than for XO. I make/record some music myself in logic pro and with some hardware synths on my mac, so I can produce content that uses all the bits no problem, actually some of my analogue modeling plugs will go much higher so its not a question of upsampling things to death and simply taking up more disc space..

you still going with transformer coupling? other ideas for output/buffer?
Old 10th February 2010, 10:11 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Respect Acko for the project but i still don't understand is 8ch version available? And how the control is made? without datasheet i can't make control myself.I understand that your control board with dip switches is a must,but i don't see that(for selecting modes and so on..).
I have my audio system with four stereo pairs of I2S. And i want 8ch dac,use it's master clock to slave may system,and want to have control over dac settings to make the system work.
So is this product useful for me? Please explain me.

Thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 12:23 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

actually decided against the lightspeed; after more research it seems its not as ideal as it sounds and causes distortion of not insignificant levels. no point building an uber high resolution dac only to destroy that at the pot. I think i'll just stick with the uC for volume.
8 channels I think is doable, but not with the one board unless you do the programming of the uC yourself. I know acko is working on the micro, but not sure what plans he has for 8 channel mode. there is definitely an option for dual mono using 2 boards. you will at very least need to use 4 boards as there is only a stereo pair of analogue outputs.

all will become clearer in the next couple of weeks
Old 12th February 2010, 10:42 PM   #126
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 8 ch dac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokoladas View Post
Respect Acko for the project but i still don't understand is 8ch version available? And how the control is made? without datasheet i can't make control myself.I understand that your control board with dip switches is a must,but i don't see that(for selecting modes and so on..).
I have my audio system with four stereo pairs of I2S. And i want 8ch dac,use it's master clock to slave may system,and want to have control over dac settings to make the system work.
So is this product useful for me? Please explain me.

Thanks
Hi Shokoladas,

The DAC project uses the ES9012 chip that puts out 2 channels(stereo) only but can connect up to 8 stereo sources (spdif/aes-ebu via spdif interface modules) and the MCU can be used to select any one at a time. A convenient feature if you have multiple digital sources to play with.

A full 8 channel version using the 9018 chip is in the works but this will be another project. If you need further information about your specific needs please feel free to post or contact me (PM )

Thanks and regards, Acko
Old 13th February 2010, 08:17 AM   #127
Gaston is offline Gaston  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko View Post
A full 8 channel version using the 9018 chip is in the works but this will be another project.
I have the patience of a tectonic plate, so I'm still as excited as when this this thread started !
Old 15th February 2010, 06:34 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Hi Gaston,

I have not forgotten your request. As you will see, most of this 2Ch design can be ported to the 8 Ch version so stay tuned
Old 16th February 2010, 07:37 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Default Build Progress

DAC board mounting and matching PSU shown. A single bipolar PSU can power the entire DAC for a basic setup or better still multiple PSU modules for each of the DAC supplies as required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ackoDACAssy.JPG (56.8 KB, 976 views)
Old 16th February 2010, 12:35 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

looking great mate!! just what I needed to see, I know its close but its easy with someone with the attention span on a gnat such as myself to become distracted with other projects and spend money where I shouldnt. best I go all out on this build. and get it a case that is deserving of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!