Cooledit/Audition 32 bit not IEEE-754?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't believe Google has no results on this. I made up a tiny waveform and hand entered some exact values then saved it as 32 bit (I tried all three variants offered) and none of them matched the standard when I scanned them with OD on a Unix box.

There is a small Java applet at Babbage.cs.qc that converts numbers back and forth and I confirmed that the Unix machine is generating IEEE-754 compliant numbers and Audition (PC) is not.

24 bit files made on the Unix box work fine when imported as Motorola packed bytes. The Unix machine is not Intel hardware but the simple byte ordering does not seem to be the problem.

BTW on a couple of forums people did mention garbage results sometimes with different "32" bit hardware and Audition.

Floating point, the problem might be history eventually. Motorola and Intel processors had reverse order on the bytes of multi-byte variables. If you use Photoshop it offers the option on some formats. My version (all?) of Cooledit only offers the option on 24 bit files. No idea why.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.