Distortion-overtone generator wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey guys - does anyone know of simple software that will produce harmonics (overtones) and is adjustable? I have searched and searched. I swear I had this years ago, but can't find it now.

Here is what I would like ideally:

A signal generator that will allow me to set the fundamental, say 440Hz, and then add the harmonics as I choose. Being able to vary the amplitude of each harmonic is what I want.

Anyone seen this? I can't find it. :whazzat:

It would be a nice service to the community if someone wrote a DOS program that scanned a simple text description and wrote a .wav file. I assume this is possible, I was able to trivially write generic wav's in Linux (this was a long time ago).

Sort of mywav > makewaves > mywav.wav

mywav could be a simple text description like; length, sampling rate, bit depth, F1(mag,phase), F2(mag,phase), ...... end.

I write test vectors for Audition on a Unix box all the time. The 24 bit format is a bit convoluted but once figured out no problem.

panomaniac said:
Here is what I would like ideally:

A signal generator that will allow me to set the fundamental, say 440Hz, and then add the harmonics as I choose. Being able to vary the amplitude of each harmonic is what I want.

Some audio editors have a built-in function that can do that; Goldwave among others. As far as I know, they offer a trial period, so you can check it out. It allows you to generate audio wave forms in wav or mp3. You choose a sinewave as fundamental and than add harmonics as you like. You can then play it from the PC or record it on a CD. Of course you can generate lots of other waveforms for testing, etc.; the possibilities are almost limitless. However, you can't vary the amplitude on the go, but you may generate a set of waveforms with different amplitudes of the harmonics.

Kurt

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks guys, good suggestions, all. I'm looking into additive synthesis programs, as they seem to do just what I need. That must have been what I had years ago.

I'll also look at Goldwave, as I already have that, but had not seen the multi-waveform thing in it! :eek:

There was also a DIY forum member who had some distortion and othe software. He is French, IIRC. Can not find it.

A second vote for SoX... although the user-inferface is, let's say, not very point&click.

BTW, @Scott: I usually have a DOS box opened running the good ol' BorlandC++ IDE and just program what I need from scratch (or change filenames/constants/variables) based on an old quick and dirty skeleton that can read/write WAV headers. That's a lot easier than integrating a parser into the proggy :)

- Klaus

I've used SciLab, a free MathCad workalike, but it can be slow with 24 bit files and you have to add the extended wav read/write toolbox

LtSpice can output .wav from a sim, I've actually used it to generate frequency stepped test.wav files, then used Audacity to play&capture, and finally analyzed in SciLab for a completely free sw toolchain

it was much faster to use 32 bit files as SciLab is much more efficient importing these than 24 bit

jcx said:
I've used SciLab, a free MathCad workalike, but it can be slow with 24 bit files and you have to add the extended wav read/write toolbox

I'll check out SciLab. It reminds me of playing with PerlDL 10 or so years ago. I think I still have a hopelessly minute credit somewhere in the Perl archives for a fix on an arbitrary N, multi-dimentional FFT library.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.