Op-Amps advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read many discussions which Op-Amp will do best in their output stage.

I have read a few comparison test on the internet and some ADxxx and OPxxx are fine examples ... and if you have a "costs is no objective" attitude please use the OPA627 ... at least that was the general opinion.

I run into another solution from Burson Audio (Australia) which seemed logical to me and the price was also very reasonable for what you get.
Op-Amps built with discrete (matched) components like transistort etc.
I did order a set of these and I could not be more happy :)
Some old uninspired cd's really came to life and other cd's with high quality recordings got fuller body and three dimensional.
The bass improved considerable too ... a much better soundstage with more dynamic and authority.

I am not here to advertise for them but if you really want to improve the sound this is a substantial design consideration.
That's all folks !!

Oystein

I did not do a direct comparison.

I can only say that I am very happy with the result usung the Burson Op-Amp.
Most of the DIY community want to get the best result for little money otherwise they would have bought the expensive commecial gear anyway to get the same result.
Making the investment to setup a comparison between the Bursons and 4 pieces OPA627 is not a very economic solution even if it can give a few % extra performance.

My motto is that if I can have 70% performance for 20% of the money I am happy. I am not willing to invest 50% for 85% performance.

If there hase been a discussion before I must have overlooked it ... I am a new member so I have not seen all subject related to this solution.

Burson opamp

Hi
I can say the same that the Burson discrete unit beats the opmaps even OP627. I used it in many applications lately in the NOS DAC.

All my friend's cd players from Cambrigde Audio to Denon, old and quiet new models, had a great sound improvment from the BURSON unit.

The only opamp tha comes close to Burson's is the NS LME49720 and i use that whenever i can not fit the Burson unit because of its size.

Yesterday night I had a friend over ( the one that infuenced me to appreciate good sound - he is a real high-end addict ) and he was really impressed by the sound.

We have the same speakers ( I bought his "old" speakers as he was in the opportunity to buy the same model which had an upgraded filter and internal Nirvana cables ). His speakers are connected to a DK Desigh reference II amplifier fed by a Spectral CD player.
When he could lay his hands on the Spectral some months ago I had the opportunity to test his Marantz SA-11 S1 at my place for a couple of days. This was before I modified my own cd player.
The Marantz was better but the difference was much smaller than I expected because initially the difference was hard to find.
After I modded my cd player I noticed the improvement already when cleaning up my working table and having the player break-in at the background.

In my first post I forgot to mention that at the time I installed the Burson Op-Amps I also installed a Tentlabs XO2.2 clock.
It seems this combination really got the juices flowing.
The bottom-line is ... my modified player is way better then the Marantz and my friend could not really tell any weaknesses compared to his Spectral. Only at very complex and loud stages the sound got smeared which we contributed to the limitations of my amplifier.

Next time I will bring my cd-player to his place to do an A-B comparison.

Few remarks

Hi,

I'm joining this thread quite late, sorry. However I would like to make some comments on the above:

1. The Bursons are indeed excellent, I am using 4 of them in the I/V; actually they are the best OpAmps which I ever had there.

2. I can't agree with the other remark, concerning the LME49720 (or 49710): I found them to be not on the same level; they are quite "cheap" sounding.

3. Concerning OPA627: Please note the OPA627BP - this is one of the better OPA's (627 series). However even this “BP” can't overcome the Burson...

4. Anybody compared the OPA627SM (metal can...) with the Burson? May be better not do this – it costs hand & leg. At least in this case, the Burson is the less expensive OPA (!).

Greetings,

IJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.