Capacitors for PCM1716 DAC chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am tweaking my NAD 524 cd player as much as possible.
I already installed a Tentlabs clock; Burson Op-Amps, replaced signal capacitors and all this was already a big revelation to me.

Now I am going a step further going troug the powersupply and more.

There is one subject I have to ask your opinion / experience:
The analog out from the DAC chip has the signal ground EXTL and EXTR connected to ground by a capacitor. (pin 11 and 18)
I can imagine that the quality of this capacitor can influence the output signal.
There is very little space around but if I want to fit a MKT in there it must be smaller value (2,2 uF instead of 10 uF).
Does anybody know the exact funtion of these acapacitors ?
The 10 uF are now standard miniature Elco's.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks, Oystein

Attachments

• pcm1716.gif
    pcm1716.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 280
Looking at the datasheet, it looks like they're related to the low pass filter for the analog portion of the DAC's output. I'd recommend bypassing (not replacing) with a 0.1 to 1 uF film cap. The bulk capacitance is needed for frequency response, but can be improved with a bypass cap. Solder to the underside of the PCB if there's no room to make it fit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.