I want to try and build my own DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I would like to try and build my first DAC. I have had success with smaller projects, thanks to the help on this website no doubt.

Basically I have some parts knocking around that I would like to re-utilise on my first attempt before I spend on some new chips. If I make mistakes in the build I would rather it be with these older devices which are lying around if you see what i mean.

So, does anyone out there know what these IC's are and if I can make use of them :-

Pioneer PD0060
Pioneer PD0052
Toshiba 74HCU04AP
Sanyo LC7820
Mitsubishi M5218AL (x2)
Motorola MC14052BCP
Motorola MC14053BCP (x2)
Motorola MC14051BCP (x2)

So is anyone out there familiar with these? As I have said before, as this is my first attempt i would like to learn on what has basically cost me zero pounds before I lash out on some nice new IC's.

Thanks in advance.
Gareth

Well, the Toshiba chip is a TTL hex inverter chip. Might be of use.
Not sure of the others.
I think you'll have to spend some money I'm afraid. Hopefully not much though.
Why don't you get hold of a TDA1543? It's a little 8 pin DIL chip that you might be able to get hold of one for about £3 or so. Maybe have a look on EBay.
What do you want to connect to it? If you want to use SPDIF, then you'll need a receiver chip for that (not quite as cheap). If you have an old CD player, that you can sniff off I2S then you can feed it straight into the DAC chip.
THen you just need an opamp for IV conversion, and you should have a NOS DAC. You should be able to build it on stripboard.
Its a start at least.

Cheers,
Phil

Cheers Phil,

Sound like a right tight-wad now don't I ? I just wanted to, maybe, wipe these out before I spent. You know, learn from my mistakes type of thing.

So are there many components, I.C.'s, needed to make a DAC ?
Like I said I don't mind spending, at all. I had read that you could even use a resistor network if you wanted to. Or maybe I mis-read.

It's definately something I want to try though. I am hoping to use both coax and optical and maybe even make an ADC too.

Any pointers?

Cheers
Gareth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.