Sabre DAC Tweakers Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted this on another thread about tweaking the Buffalo DAC but as Russ from Twisted Pear pointed out it is a departure from the Buffalo so I decided to put it in it's own thread.

I mounted an ES9018 32 bit SABRE DAC on a prototype board as an alternative to NeoY2k or TP boards. Neither board suited my requirements for a number of reasons & anyway I wished to experiment with power supplies, I/V stages, clocks, etc .

The SchmartBoards, on which I mounted the DAC, are designed to allow easy hand soldering of these smd parts LQFP & even BGA chips are catered for. They have solder grooves into which the pins slot & make hand soldering easy. I reckon one could also hand solder these chips on an ordinary protoboard.

Anyway, the costs were a mere $70 (DAC $60 & Board $10) & seems to me like a good bargain and something that can be done straight away without the expenditure or waiting time of other Sabre DAC offerings.

It would be interesting to have a number of people follow the same route & share tweaking experiences.

My first option will be the PS which I plan to run from batteries (4 batteries - DVCC_T; DVCC_B; AVCC_L; AVCC_R) & each 1.2V from an eneloop battery (3 batteries) - no regulators, just caps. I consider the PS to be the most critical part of the implementation of this DAC & running from batteries is a start.

See here for pics: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1870036#post1870036

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.