TDA1541A S2 Upgrade Makes No Difference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just recently upgraded my plain TDA1541A to a double crown S2 in my DAC and can hear no appreciable difference. I've discussed it with one forum member who immediately suggested a rebrand but I'm alittle more meticulous when unravelling a mystery. The lettering on my chip looks flawless so i'd like my forum memebers thoughts on how to look deeper into the source of this chip.

Here's the source of the chip:

TDA1541A S2

Regards,
Dan

They look pretty genuine in the pictures.

What model DAC are you using? It's possible that your DAC is less than perfect, maybe any TDA1541A will sound poor in it, S2 or not (no offense meant, just a suggestion).

The other thing is that, judging by the photos, the seller took absolutely no ESD precautions whatsoever, and the chip could be static damaged. In not one of the photos in the eBay listing is the chip on an ESD safe surface, which would have turned me off buying it straight away (aside from the price). Was is packaged in an ESD safe way when you received it?

edit: grammar

Joined 2002
Paid Member
amc184 said:
They look pretty genuine in the pictures.

What model DAC are you using? It's possible that your DAC is less than perfect, maybe any TDA1541A will sound poor in it, S2 or not (no offense meant, just a suggestion).

The other thing is that, judging by the photos, the seller took absolutely no ESD precautions whatsoever, and the chip could be static damaged. In not one of the photos in the eBay listing is the chip on an ESD safe surface, which would have turned me off buying it straight away (aside from the price). Was is packaged in an ESD safe way when you received it?

edit: grammar
I have a nice DAC and the chip was packed ESD safe. Still puzzled.

Regards,
Dan

I just recently upgraded my plain TDA1541A to a double crown S2 in my DAC and can hear no appreciable difference.

AFAIK, no-one has ever demonstrated that there's an audible difference between the two chips (demonstrated, not asserted). So maybe your ears are telling you the truth...

If everything meets spec on a bench test, then the chip is doing its job. Don't worry, there's lots of "huge, obvious changes" that mysteriously go away when the comparison is done blind.

The DAC does look nice.

I've heard static damaged TDA1541As described as sounding grey (whatever that means). I would expect static damage to the analog part of the chip to result in an incremental loss of linearity. Since the TDA1541A S2 is a regular TDA1541A selected at final testing for higher than average linearity, I don't think that expecting a static damaged S2 to sound like a regular grade chip is so far fetched.

But SY could be quite right, I have heard both sides of this argument from forumites I respect. I haven't heard an S2 (nor even an S1), so I can't comment. However, Philips set out in black and white that the THD+N of an S2 is lower.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 571
I purchased fourteen TDA1541 Dacs in one tranasction from a reputable Electronics supplier. They were all Marked as HSH supposedly meaning that they were made in Holland, they did not have Taiwan printed on them. They date code indicates that they were manufactured in 2002, which is strange because I have read that they were last made in 1999.

Anyway, I built a couple of the TDA1541 DAC kits from analogmetric which i think are great sounding and fantastic value.

I fitted a 28 pin DIL ZIF socket to the dac kit so that i could easily remove, replace and compare the 14 DAC ICs.

I found that some of the DAC IC's sounded quite flat and lacking dynamics, whereas others sounded better, some sounded very refined and detailed but not hugely dynamic and there were a couple that really shone above the rest, these 4 dacs had the works, they had great detail, and absolultely huge dynamics.
These four are my Double crowns :)

I've never heard a Crowned TDA1541 but from my experience, each and every TDA1541 sounds a little different.

As someone else has said, the crown DAC's are only the ones that were tested, its highly likely that there are many "above average" TDA1541's out there living in old CD players, and in electronics warehouses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.