Newbie question: How to battery power my cs4397 dac kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have a cs4397 dac kit. I have been running the DAC off a 6 volt battery with the opamp bypassed. I have the 6volt battery plugged into the 5volt input and the AG input on the board and it all works ok.

If I want to use an opamp, the board needs an additional 12v and -12v input. I have 2 spare 12volt batteries. Can I use these to create the +12 and -12 volts needed for the board?

How do I configure the batteries and which terminals do I connect them to on the board? thanks heaps!

The terminals are +12, AG, -12, G, +5, SA and SB.

Picture attached

Attachments

• img_4826.jpg
    img_4826.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 173
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
One thought that comes immediately to mind is whether or not there is onboard voltage regulation in your dac kit - if not using a 6V battery to supply 5V logic is really pushing your luck as the absolute maximum voltage ratings of these devices is just 6V and anything over that they are subject to possible failure.

Yes you can use batteries, but I thought the connections would have been obvious.. Basically connect the + terminal of one battery to the +12V connection on the board, connect the - terminal of that battery to board GND, connect the - terminal of the other battery to the -12V connection on the board, and the + terminal of that battery to board GND. Note if you can confirm that AG is Analog ground then you might make the ground connections for the two 12V batteries there, but I do not have enough information to make an informed recommendation.

Don't you have any documentation for this board?

Be sure you understand exactly what you are doing before you do it, and check everything twice. I am not responsible should you blow up your dac board. :hot: :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.