digital interface transformer,help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll bet this capacitor is simply used for "DC Blocking" in this application, because a excessive amount of DC bias voltage could cause any noise present on the input line to false-trigger the Toshiba TC74HC04AP CMOS inverter chip. I believe that this chip is more than likely being used as a "input buffer" for the S/PDIF input circuit, but I don't have the board schematics to look at so I am just stating the most obvious use of a chip like this one in a digital input circuit.

You should take a look at the web pages on the Scientific Conversion Inc. web site for more information on the various trade-offs of designing circuits with pulse transformers as inter-device coupling isolators. There are three papers in PDF format that are exceptionally good reading on this subject!

http://www.scientificonversion.com/

The links are on the lower part of the column on the left side of the main page.....

HTH-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.