Wolfson WM8741

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably not a good idea. The DacMagic seems to be using the DAC without the filters because it has a DSP doing all the upsampling and filtering. Thus if you replace the DAC, it will probably be using the DAC portion only bypassing all the filtering.

But if you are good in DIY, get the kit from twistedpearaudio and get an Arduino to access all the functions of the WM8741

glt said:
Probably not a good idea. The DacMagic seems to be using the DAC without the filters because it has a DSP doing all the upsampling and filtering. Thus if you replace the DAC, it will probably be using the DAC portion only bypassing all the filtering.

But if you are good in DIY, get the kit from twistedpearaudio and get an Arduino to access all the functions of the WM8741

Sorry, confused the 740C with DacMagic... But maybe using the same approach with a DSP chip

he really is a bit of a moron the lamp, its really quite ridiculous, the guy seems to think that bypassing high performance SMD polymer tantalum caps with sanyo leaded solid polymer caps presents some kind of improvement; you know, because wolfston cannot be trusted to do anything but make the dac chip, which is apparently the best of all time, yet the same designers have no clue how to implement it. the polymer tant caps on the board are higher performance than the sanyo even without taking into account they are surface mount and therefore in another league for decoupling. does the fact the sanyos are more audiophile approved make them magic? perhaps there is some improvement presented by the added inductance?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I think you are referring to Lukasz Fikus (Lampizator) ? Checked the story about WM8742 and agree with your opinion. The guy has some good ears and analog skills but digital technique is not his speciality it seems. Decoupling should be done locally direct at the pins with shortest possible connections. SMD parts are preferred for obvious reasons.

yep thats the one, agreed he has some interesting ideas, but his execution, digital or analogue is often atrocious. hes responsible for teaching a whole gang of followers bad habits and false 'truths'. his idea of an improvement is bypassing with randomly chosen caps, chosen without any regard to the datasheet (if he even reads them) as long as its larger and not surface mount, or removing every properly chosen decoupling cap and replacing with leaded electrolytics, hes creating massive, confusing and somewhat dangerous airsculptures.

as you say though, its at its worst when hes pretending to know what hes doing with high speed digital circuits like clocks or receivers, then claiming supremacy over all. it really is quite funny when you see him removing an smd oscon, only to replace it with a different brand, but leaded oscon, or doing the same with an np0 ceramic, replacing with a large motor run film cap and several inches of wire to connect it (not even twisted) to decouple the clock power supply pins (true story)

/rant

His passion consists in demolishing good CD players, adding a bunch of crazy wires, the "cool" tubes (lamp) and posting the gruesome results on net. Since uses tubes instead of OpAmps his creations have an aura of "exotic" and "different" in eyes of some young people.
Lots of kids think that "different" is always "good"... even adults get tricked with that slogan.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
To stay at the positive side: he made some very interesting observations regarding SPDIF outputs in cd players. He has wit and guts to do the changes he likes. Still I get the idea every existing device should be equipped with tubes the way he sees it.

We agree on the airsculptures, they're mechanically and electrically bad. BTW this is the first time we seem to agree on a subject. Congratulations to us !

Fikus creations are a bit messy and his instructions are not always easy to follow.
I have to confess I got a bit hooked though and built a pretty average 6N6P X 2 buffer which receives the signal off a pair of metal can LME49710 op amps ( i/v )
I also tried passive i/v....urgh - didn't work for me in the ears dept.

I was quite surprised by the sound of the valves - much better than the std output stage of my CD player. ( OK they all pretty poor to average anyway )

My knowledge does not allow me the luxury of explaining why I think it sounds good but..it's nicer by a long way to me.
Mechanically and Electrically frightening is my opinion but.. bad ?

I'm not sure what I can replace this creation with right now tbh and would welcome a suggestion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.