parasound 1500 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I got me a parasound 1500 DAC, with original AD841, AD712 and two times AD845 in it. I changed them to two times opa627 and one lm4562. I decoupled al the new opamps with 100uf cerafines and pan FC's on the V-/+ rails, parallelled them with 0.1nf mkp1837.

At first I got only one opa627, without decoupling, in it and the sound changed to darker background, more pinpoint, bigger stage and more rest. Now I changed the other AD845 also to opa627, and again the sound was more openess, more holographic, more space, more microdetails and also smooth, but the bass was a little bit muddy.

Thats why I decided to put in the lm4562 in place of the AD712. Again more pinpoint, a little flatter stage, more microdetails and a little bit harsh, but I think the lm4562 has to settle in and otherwise I'll try the opa2134. But bass is much better with the opa627 and lm4562 as with the AD712, also the pinpoint is better. Its possible that the bass is getting muddy again with the opa2134. The lm4562 got me lesser a live feeling. Also the decoupling went for some more dynamics and rest.

As for now, I like the sound as it is now. Its easyer listening, no stress at all. The only thing that I didn't change and want to change is the AD841. What opamp for replacement can I take here? Somebody knows? Grtz Teake

I got the 1000 and a friend of mine has the 1500 ( the difference is 1500 has balanced while 1000 does not ). You may want to change the dac chips to PCM63 K-grade - the sound will improve, although this DAC sounds a little muddy to me as well. Did you replace the digital filter?
My friend tried both OPA627 and OPA637 and his comments were that 637 sounds more airy in the upper freq. range but the overall sound of the OPA627 has been better.

I was looking for a tube conversion of the DAC 1000, however I couldn`t find anybody who has done it. One day I may go ahead and give it a try :)
Teake - I would appreciate if you could put all upgrades in one post, I will be doing that very soon, so it would give me a direction.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.