Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

AK4396: best solution for output stage
AK4396: best solution for output stage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2009, 03:50 PM   #21
Hurtig is offline Hurtig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT

Interesting, every time I replace a 553x, I found a big improvement. Is there a specific brand/grade of 5534 that sound very good.
BTW, I found the tda1543 don't lack in dynamics and sound better than the cs4397 dac (P3A). Go figure...

Yeah, quite interesting. I also know a lot of people who has changed from NE553x to expensive "racing op-amps", and believed that the sound was improved greatly. But, every time they have tried to change back, they descover even bigger improvements .

You must be carefull not to cheat yourself in believing, that these "racing op-amps" sounds better, just because you know they have better specs and cost much more.
I guess there must be a reason, that more than 99% of the music you listen to, is made on gear build around NE553x's.

NE553x is extremely neutral, where many of the expensive op-amps tend to have their own sound. Again, this can be very impressing at first. But normally people find it hard to live with these "racing op-amps" over time.
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:03 PM   #22
babaudio is offline babaudio  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

It depends wich OPA replace the 5534(2).

I recomanded, try AD9631 or ADA4899-1, but not as direct replacement on previous PCB.
You must conect it on own PCB with good power supply decouplung and Resistor (50 - 100R) placed direct on +in and out pin .
Old 22nd May 2009, 07:45 PM   #23
Bill Fuss is offline Bill Fuss  United States
RIP

Hurtig,
I always suspected the same results as you have described. Actually the first thing that was apparent was an increase in dynamics and a deeper and wider soundstage. I cannot find any shortcomings whatsoever, it really shocked me. You should give it a try, you will be very surprised, as I was.

Bill
Old 22nd May 2009, 07:57 PM   #24
Tolu is offline Tolu  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi bwaslo

the crackles came from an old Dell notebook from 2002 with an USB2 pc-card converter. With my new PC (E6700) and Vista there are no crackles anymore! But the notebook is in the living room with my hifi gear.

At the moment the Emu 0404 USB is wired by optical cable to my DVD player. The sound quality is almost good but I think there is a lot more to get out of it.

Has anyone of you already modded a Emu 0404 USB? It is all tiny SMD stuff with less than 1mm distance of the chip legs!
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:43 AM   #25
ChuckT is offline ChuckT
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurtig

Yeah, quite interesting. I also know a lot of people who has changed from NE553x to expensive "racing op-amps", and believed that the sound was improved greatly. But, every time they have tried to change back, they descover even bigger improvements .

You must be carefull not to cheat yourself in believing, that these "racing op-amps" sounds better, just because you know they have better specs and cost much more.
I guess there must be a reason, that more than 99% of the music you listen to, is made on gear build around NE553x's.

NE553x is extremely neutral, where many of the expensive op-amps tend to have their own sound. Again, this can be very impressing at first. But normally people find it hard to live with these "racing op-amps" over time.
I guess I have to say I trust my own ears and believe in the "better is better" illusion.
Opamp need not to be expensive, the excellent sounding lm4562 is fairly cheap.
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:47 AM   #26
ChuckT is offline ChuckT
diyAudio Member

I concur with Bill that direct tranny out sounds very good too. I tried it on the ak4393 only.
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:54 AM   #27
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

I'm feeling a bit lazy tonight, so maybe someone can tell me if the 93 can be desoldered and the 96 soldered in in it's place in a DCX2496? Without any other mods that is.
Cheers
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:01 AM   #28
Hurtig is offline Hurtig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckT

I guess I have to say I trust my own ears and believe in the "better is better" illusion.
Opamp need not to be expensive, the excellent sounding lm4562 is fairly cheap.

I never listened to the LM4562, but I believe that a few people mentioned the sound of it to be flat and sleepy.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hurtig
when you say "we", which company/manufacturer are you referring to?
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:48 PM   #30
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Which opamps did you try

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurtig

I never listened to the LM4562, but I believe that a few people mentioned the sound of it to be flat and sleepy.
Which opamps did you listen to? The LM4562 seems to be one of the favorites of modifiers right now.

AK4396: best solution for output stageHide this!Advertise here!