AK4396: best solution for output stage - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2011, 12:25 AM   #221
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know the correct value of the grid resistor? I tried 250k, 75k, and now trying 10k soon. So far the dac is clipping with high distortion when music is playing fortissimo.
Old 18th October 2012, 01:00 AM   #222
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
And if you donīt like opams,is tfafos the way too go then?
Yes... like in audio note.

Moving Coil etc... - Hifi Collective

You can use this instead of the resistor/capacitor

cap is parallell, resistor i/v, transformer, then another resistor + cap .

---) this goes to tube cathode follower or anode then cathode for more gain.

you can buy the number 450, 496 or 497 from the link.

Please, no opamp!
Old 18th October 2012, 02:23 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

also check less expensive: SOWTER DAC I/V TRANSFORMERS
Less expensive: From hammond the 140NEx and 140Pex
Old 9th December 2012, 09:57 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Sorry that I'm so late to this game. I bought a pair of O-netics DAC output transformers from Budp about a year ago and finally got them installed in my Behringer DEQ2496. I used 560ohm series resistors in each leg of the primary with no secondary loading. The bass seemed very rolled off until I jumpered out the series resistors. Now I measure flat output through the bass range compared to 1kHz.

The dynamics are very good and small inner details are much more resolved. But, it seems like the sound gets harsh as I increase the volume. I'm playing at volumes that I've always used but never with this harshness before. I have a low powered PP tube amp. Do you think I'm getting the amp into clipping or near it's limits with the increased dynamics? I have to decrease the volume quite a bit now before this problem subsides. The only thing I've tried so far is adding a 2.2k resistor across the primary since I've seen it mentioned that sometimes a shunt resistor will even out the impedance at higher frequencies.

Thanks,
John
Old 10th December 2012, 07:14 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

It's good to control THD at the output of your amp at the different volume settings, or, at least check the signal form. There might be the case that you got a bit more amplitude with the transformers (if they work like 1:2 or so), and therefore may overload input bias at the tubes drivers.
Old 12th December 2012, 08:59 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I recently corresponded with Budp of O-netcs from whom I bought the output transformers. He gave me some good advice regarding the use of primary side series resistance to control the loading on the DAC. I am making progress. He suggested that in the end the optimal value of resistors for sound quality would be something under half of the recommended resistance. Am doing trials now.

John
Old 1st May 2014, 03:04 AM   #227
Strosek is offline Strosek  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm currently using Tamradio transformers (same as post 203) direct off DAC chip no loading resistors or caps...
Is this optimum? Some people say use nothing and other posts use loading resistors and caps.
Would someone kindly tell me what I should be using with these Tamradio Output transformers? I think they are 600ohm 1:1.

BTW Dac sounds great as is unloaded. Thanks!!

Last edited by Strosek; 1st May 2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 1st May 2014, 06:39 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

I can swore by all gods an devils that using of resistor will decries SQ to half.
I had 15 Ohm as "isolation" (witch people crying) for a along time and never satisfied with clarity of sound. just for curiosity soldered the output caps before the resistors. Haven means something now ...

Last edited by Nosian; 1st May 2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 3rd May 2014, 07:50 AM   #229
vulejov is offline vulejov  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Does this make sense to modify output like this, aim is to unload AK4396..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK4396.JPG (63.3 KB, 168 views)
Old 3rd May 2014, 08:11 AM   #230
SteB is offline SteB  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdorama View Post
Thanks. I recently corresponded with Budp of O-netcs from whom I bought the output transformers. He gave me some good advice regarding the use of primary side series resistance to control the loading on the DAC. I am making progress. He suggested that in the end the optimal value of resistors for sound quality would be something under half of the recommended resistance. Am doing trials now.

John
Great, Look forwards to your findings

Hide this!Advertise here!