Musiland Monitor 01 USD 24/192 USB to SPDIF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered one - the US model (the one with a PCM1793 internal DAC) even though I'm probably not going to use the DAC (this still has SPDIF output via optical!). One of the reasons I ordered this is that from what I can tell from the pics, there is far more PS supply filtering in the US model. I'll know better when I get it if this extra PS treatment is just for the DAC & output stage or also applies to the USB controller & FPGA chips.

Anyway, I intend to do some mods on this board
- providing it with an good external supply
- possibly changing the crystal to a low jitter Crystek clock+ clean supply
- tapping into the I2S signal traces that go to the PCM1793 (from the pics I'm sure this is the connection to DAC)
- possibly making coax SPDIF out

Has nobody picked up one of these yet? Looks like a unit worth investigating

Edit: Some tests over at DIyhifi http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=40430#p40430
and posts at headfi http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/musiland-monitor-01-usd-24-192-usb-spdif-423960/

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody here has caught wind of these - the reviews are coming in from users who are very happy with them.

I just looked into their forum & in translation I see a posting from moderators that Linux driver is planned but waiting confirmation of this from a native Chinese speaker.

I bought one in the middle of July from seller: snow48_6. She then claimed it was sold out and relisted 9 identical items for a higher price. Since I opened a complaint errand with paypal all the sudden its shipped but I haven't received it 5 weeks later. Avoid this seller.

Last edited:
As far as I can see it has no separate clocks for multiples of 44.1 kHz and multiples of 48 kHz. So it must rely on a (digital) PLL anyway with a single crystal.

I have ordered one. Lets see what it will bring to jitter compared to my E-MU 0404, which has separate fixed crystal clocks. And my M-Audio Transit, which is really nasty considering jitter on its S/PDIF output.

As far as I can see it has no separate clocks for multiples of 44.1 kHz and multiples of 48 kHz. So it must rely on a (digital) PLL anyway with a single crystal.

I have ordered one. Lets see what it will bring to jitter compared to my E-MU 0404, which has separate fixed crystal clocks. And my M-Audio Transit, which is really nasty considering jitter on its S/PDIF output.

Hi Pjotr,

Could you give me any literatures that mention EMU0404 uses separate crystal for 48k and 44.1k? I am curious myself... :scratch:

Hi Pjotr,

Could you give me any literatures that mention EMU0404 uses separate crystal for 48k and 44.1k? I am curious myself... :scratch:

quote: "Sample Rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kHz from internal crystal (no sample rate conversion)"

Have a look at the board:

Attachments

• EMU0404_Board.jpg
    EMU0404_Board.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 848
musiland monitor 01usd

I bought one from e bay for 80$, and am pretty pleased with a sound; haved some smaller problems to install it and maked it work with foobar, especially with a dts audio materials. Anyway, this little gadget allows you to made any computer vulgaris a nice sounding device. The "sound" of this device which is connected to a diy tube dac is much better then before with my creative sound card & modified kx drivers, music is much better defined, with nice bass and detailed highs. Verdict :judge: -to buy and forget expensive fancy media centres...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.