NONOS DAC with TDA1541A or AD1865N-K or something better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

please give me Your opinion and help me to select the right DAC for my next project.

In the last 7 Years I have build some NOS DACs with TDA1543 and TDA1541A. I tried different kinds of I/V conversion, Jitter Reduction, Output Stages, power supplies etc.

My current favorite is a CDPRO2 with a Crystal from Guido Tent feeding through IIS four paralleled TDA1541A. passive I/V conversion with resistor and a step up transformer. Volume Control is done by varying the resistor value.

For my next project I wish a computer interface instead of CD. I like iTunes so I choose Airport Express for the interface to the Computer. This is a network device which outputs bit and sampling correct digital audio in 16/44 format. I will inject a clock signal into the Airport, take the SPDIFF signal and extract with CS841x the data line. BCK and WS will be generated on the DAC side. The output stage should remain basically the same.

Did someone compare the sound of TDA1541A versus AD1865N-K or other R2R DACs in passive I/V configuration? Or is there any better IC?

Did someone try paralleling them?

Audio note uses ad1865. Did someone compare an AN DAC with TDA1541 one?

Please give me your ideas and opinion about this design and DAC choice.

Best Regards,
Peter

PS: I added a picture of my CDP / DAC / preamp and active crossover

Attachments

• _cd 03.jpg
    _cd 03.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,176
omainik said:
For my next project I wish a computer interface instead of CD. I like iTunes so I choose Airport Express for the interface to the Computer. This is a network device which outputs bit and sampling correct digital audio in 16/44 format. I will inject a clock signal into the Airport, take the SPDIFF signal and extract with CS841x the data line. BCK and WS will be generated on the DAC side. The output stage should remain basically the same.

Maybe is better to use for computer interface PCM2707, USB/I2S chip, for conection to DAC. TDA1541 don't need glue logic, but AD1865 need shifter.

omainik said:
Did someone compare the sound of TDA1541A versus AD1865N-K or other R2R DACs in passive I/V configuration? Or is there any better IC?

Did someone try paralleling them?

The same thread, check post1 and post2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.