Thorsten Loesch ADAGIO DAC..Help.!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I would like to assemble the ADAGIO DAC..

But unfortunately from the Thoersten web pages..i cant read well the schematic..

Any one have more informations about?

Anyone assembled it?

Especially..i cant see well the configuration of the CS8412..i mean the M= M1 M2 M3 ports..

Thanks to anyone will help me.

Maurizio.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I note you have a CS8412 on hand as well as the TDA1541 but you might want to consider a better and more current receiver IC such as the Wolfson WM8804, the old CS8412 seemed incapable of rejecting even moderate amounts of jitter in the spdif stream and performs poorly compared to more modern receiver ICs like the Wolfson WM8804 or the TI DIR9001.

I would take gugleilmope's comments about the mediocrity of this receiver seriously - this is my experience too. Another problem with the CS8412 is that it is long discontinued and if you have a problem it will be hard and expensive to source new. (There are lots of counterfeit and some used receiver ICS available, some work, some don't.)

Also limiting yourself to 44k/16 bit resolution now seems like a potentially unfortunate choice if you ever decide you are interested in higher rez pcm formats.

Check out some of the kits by Twisted Pear Audio, if you are looking for something that works, is easy to put together and sounds good.. The Buffalo dac looks interesting (haven't tried it) and I am using their WM8804 based receiver with some PCM1794A...

Also lots of good dac kits (mostly from China) on eBay these days.

Also while I understand Italian well enough, the official language of diyaudio is English by agreement and more importantly you limit the number of useful responses you will get as many knowledgeable posters here know no Italian at all..

Thanks Kevin.

I appreciate you help.

But consider, that i've PCB also..sent me log time ago from Kalus Boehm; who did the work based on Thorsten Adagio Dac.

So..can you help me..? I've all the components..also Amplimo TM3 on my hands...

i've just start to assemble it.

Thanks.

I will consider the others receivers..But..is possinle to use DIR9001 instead od CS8412..any conversion PCB?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maurizio said:
Thanks Kevin.

I appreciate you help.

But consider, that i've PCB also..sent me log time ago from Kalus Boehm; who did the work based on Thorsten Adagio Dac.

So..can you help me..? I've all the components..also Amplimo TM3 on my hands...

i've just start to assemble it.

Thanks.

I will consider the others receivers..But..is possinle to use DIR9001 instead od CS8412..any conversion PCB?

Since you have the pcb I would just use it as is. Finding the information for the CS8412 is the issue, and you can get the data sheet here if you do not have it: www.dddac.de/filesCS8411_12.pdf

For I2S format connect M0 to ground, M1 to VDD, and M2 to ground. (see below)

M2 M1 M0 Format

0 0 0 ... Out, L/R, 16-24 Bits

0 0 1 ... In, L/R, 16-24 Bits

0 1 0 ... Out, L/R, I2S Compatible

0 1 1 ... In, L/R, I2S Compatible

1 0 0 ... Out, WSYNC, 16-24 Bits -

1 0 1 ... Out, L/R, 16 Bits LSBJ

1 1 0 ... Out, L/R, 18 Bits LSBJ

1 1 1 ... Out, L/R, MSB Last

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.