PCM56K iv resistor value?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I did my first passive conversion with pcm56k and there is very much audible distortion. It increases with the music volume and decreases when the music is quiet.

I used this setting: I output: 750R i/v
The filter is 18 R in series and 0.1uf in //
There is also a 22uf output cap in case of DC current.

I saw schematics with 1k resistors so I choose 750R , lampizator uses 500R, and some other people use only 50R - 100 R. I might try 375 now.

Peace. Please answer only if you have a pcm56 I output resistor and knows what value is best for output level vs distortion.

For the others I noticed a funny fact: distortion sounds like 5 % - 10 % depending on output level, well with classical its very apparent, piano, midrange etc. BUT when I listen rock or electric guitar or Michel Jackson it's sounding ok – disco too.

18 ohm + 100 nF ? where did you see that ?

That is more or less the same as if you shunt the Iout directly with 100nF to ground
Can not work.

Analog filter for a single PCM56 per channel, 200 ohm I/V:

diyaudiofilter.jpg

Or for a 750 ohm I/V:

put 10nF ll to R_I/V.
No series resistor.

Bernhard said:
18 ohm + 100 nF ? where did you see that ?

That is more or less the same as if you shunt the Iout directly with 100nF to ground
Can not work.

Hi Bernhard ! Thanks for helping. I have 3 questions concerning your post.

The 18 R + 100nf are to do a first order LP filter... Why it cannot work ???????

This afternoon before I saw your answer I used 375 R for I/v and the distortion was mostly gone.

Do you use the schematic in the picture ?

3. Now my problem is with the BASS, it is cut, what is the possible explanation ??? Is it because the 375 R is too low and cut bass ? I heard that some people say it’s more bass when the resistor value is higher...

Gabdx1 said:

Hi Bernhard ! Thanks for helping. I have 3 questions concerning your post.

The 18 R + 100nf are to do a first order LP filter... Why it cannot work ???????

This afternoon before I saw your answer I used 375 R for I/v and the distortion was mostly gone.

Do you use the schematic in the picture ?

3. Now my problem is with the BASS, it is cut, what is the possible explanation ??? Is it because the 375 R is too low and cut bass ? I heard that some people say it�s more bass when the resistor value is higher...

1. 750 ohm ll Z of PCM56 give 455 ohm.
With 18 ohm and 100n you have -15dB @ 20 kHz.
Those values are totally wrong.

2. No, I made that schematic for a forum member, but I use a similar higher order filter.

3. I use 250 ohm per chip and bass is very good.

Are you sure that everything else is ok ?

Did you build a DAC or mod a player ?
Internal opamp disconnected correctly ?

Yes, I don't know how to calculate a filter and don't know how to calculate the Z at the output...

I modified a player, I already broke my old Sony by modifying it, and I posted that in another part of forum. This is the dbx5.

Everything is fine, no opamps, no pop or noise.

I try to build a first order LP and set the i/v resistor to good value and I aim for around 1/4 of power of the normal cd player, more is ok.

I think ill try it with 100 R for i/v, but what is the value I should use for the cap and resistor of the filter???

Right now I can't build that complicated filter in picture because I don't have a PCB right now.

Regards

Yes the player used the internal opamp, I didn't disconnected 9 - 10.

I have a problem :::::::::::::::::::
I tried it on my more sensitive system just with woofer speaker connected: unfortunately there is 3 mV 60Hertz pollution signal at the output of the dac , it is continuous even when the power is off !!!!, I need to disconnect the cd power cord to stop that 60 hertz pollution ...

That’s a huge problem ...:bigeyes: Ill try to disconnect pin 9 and 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.