Opening the new DacMagic???? - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2011, 01:07 PM   #191
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, but make sure pin 3 is not connected to anything if you can (left open circuit).
Some cables that are designed to connect unbalanced sources to balanced amps have pin 3 shorted to ground. You do not want this.

Then compare with the standard RCA's. It sounds more open but alters the sound balance slightly so it is possible that the standard RCA sound suits your system/ears better.

You'll get exactly 2V RMS both ways so very easy to A/B if you connect up both ways for comparison.
Old 15th August 2011, 01:09 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
The advice early on in this thread is :-
Pin 1=Gnd, Pin 2= + phase, Pin 3 = - phase.
So take signal from pins 1 and 2 and leave pin 3 alone.
This is what I did and it works fine.
Thanks Puffin, when you say Leave pin 3 alone you mean disconnect it ?

LOL just been answered as I was typing the reply

Right will do that and let you know what I think .. thanks again Glenn

Last edited by Fivetide; 15th August 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 15th August 2011, 02:56 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

If you get a chance replace the coupling caps with the Elna caps and the 7805 5v regulator with the Dexa 5v regulator. Both parts can be found on partsconnexion. Niether of these parts are surface mount and the changes you are trying to make will deliver limited results as long as these bottlenecks are in place. Besides the PSU you are considering buying voids the warranty anyways.
Old 15th August 2011, 05:19 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcrock View Post
If you get a chance replace the coupling caps with the Elna caps and the 7805 5v regulator with the Dexa 5v regulator. Both parts can be found on partsconnexion. Niether of these parts are surface mount and the changes you are trying to make will deliver limited results as long as these bottlenecks are in place. Besides the PSU you are considering buying voids the warranty anyways.

Hi I can only find 15v Dexa UWB " Series" Regulator (Positive) (78xx Series)

Is this what you meant ?
Old 15th August 2011, 05:36 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

I agree with Puffin, it worked for me. It should give you the same 2V signal as the phono output but with better signal quality.

Using Mihaylov's method will give you double the signal at the phono plug i.e. about 4V, which may distort on some inputs. If you have a ground loop the - output of the Dacmagic will be shunted to ground, not good news.

Handy memo on XLR pins 123 are X=earth, L = Live (+), R = Return (-)

Last edited by Fatmangolf; 15th August 2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Sorry Glenn, I've just read your post which said most of this already!
Old 15th August 2011, 05:37 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

No you need the Dexa 70908 5v regulator. The other regulators are ok. I would do the regulator over the PSU as it is the noisy part and the critical voltage to supply the DAC and opamp chips with power, the other voltage are for the positive and negative swings of the analog signal out. The PSU can still pick up noise on it's way to the DAC. I did not change out the PSU. Parts connexion has several Dexa regulators be sure and pick the right one. Also see the thread about the tantalum cap which can be purchased from digikey.
Old 15th August 2011, 05:38 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

I agree with Ajcrock about replacing the caps. I didn't change the DAC supply regulator but got a big difference on my 840C when I did it there.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:12 PM   #198
diyAudio Member

most of the dac chips today use voltage output instead of current output,so the iv convertion is done internally.the wolfson has a negative signal as well as a positive signal coming out of the dac,your balanced out is already there,just use it.for unbalanced use only the positive or + signal for your output,one for each channel.use a really good cap here,you could use a 47uf silmic II or nichicon zk,bypassed with 1-2uf polystyrene or polypropylene.no additonal low pass filtering is needed!!!!!!!go from dac output to rca jack.once you have done this you will never go back to op amps.you already have 2 volts output from the dac to drive anything.enjoy.p.s. make sure you cut the trace going to the rca jack.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:20 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

oh by the way the dynamic drive and realism will definitily go up,you will find yourself surprised at times,what comes out of the speakers.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:39 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcrock View Post
No you need the Dexa 70908 5v regulator. The other regulators are ok. I would do the regulator over the PSU as it is the noisy part and the critical voltage to supply the DAC and opamp chips with power, the other voltage are for the positive and negative swings of the analog signal out. The PSU can still pick up noise on it's way to the DAC. I did not change out the PSU. Parts connexion has several Dexa regulators be sure and pick the right one. Also see the thread about the tantalum cap which can be purchased from digikey.
Struggling to find a UK supplier for this
I'll put a post in parts forum

Hide this!Advertise here!