Where to buy downloadable bit perfect software ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any way to download bit perfect music ?

I like the itunes convenience of getting just the tracks that one likes and leaving the rest

But I suspect that if I download a track from itunes and then convert to 44100 / 16 bit WAV that I am not going to get bit for bit perfect version as compared to buying the CD.

Does anyone know about this stuff ?

I am now fairly committed to PC / vista / XX High End - which is the best source I have heard - so I would like a way of downloading software straight into my notebook

all suggestions welcome

mike

Thanks for these links - I particularly like the HD tracks site because it has such big selection

But I am also interested in mainstream commercial music as well as specialized labels etc.

For these regular mainstream commercial releases is there any way of downloading bit perfect copies of do we still have to buy the the CD's ?

Or is itunes the only option ?

cheers

mike

If you already own the music on some other medium, you may have a right to download digital versions without paying again. Lossless files (flac, ape) can increasingly be found on "illegal" p2p networks, so I've heard. If that's not an option, complain to the legit online music sources that you want faithful lossless files in flac or ape.

The file sharing route does not really appeal and I do not really want to start lobbying about this.

I think my next step will be to do some A / B comparisons of CD's loaded using EAC as WAV & FLAC and the same tracks using the different possible formats from itunes.

I suspect that with rock music the differences will not be significant but classical or female vocal etc will probably be more revealing.

If anyone else has done these comparisons I would be interested to hear your impressions.

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.