deq2496 with tda1543

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently got a cheap tda1543 dac and found that the sound is really good. Compare to my modded deq2496 with direct tranny output, the tda1543 sound has more weight, better rhythm and dynamics, but the top end is not as refine. But I enjoy the sound of tda1543 more as it does a better job on pop and classical, the lower and mid octave is just better IMO.

I checked the pins of ak439 and the data sheet and it does seem to receive I2S signal. So I went ahead and tap the pins 5,6,7 (BICK, SDATA, LRCK) of the ak4393 and it works. :D

I got 1 channel working and the sound is not too bad (considering that I tap from a poor power supply).
I tried the eq and it works with the 1543 too. I believe the deq works in 24bits but 1543 just ignore the extra bits.

I will put in a better 8V for the 1543 and complete the other channel when I have more time and see how it sounds.

Attachments

• deq2496_tda1543.jpg
    deq2496_tda1543.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 559
What did you do with the audio out from the tda1543? Did you cut the trace from the old DAC and insert the tda1543 audio at that point or did you just parallel up the two DACs?

Just wondering if your tda1543 went through the same transformer output as the original DAC in your comparison.

Interesting experiment:)

Here is another pic.
Sound is very good. I now using tl431 to get 7.5V instead and add a copper foil for heatsink. The tl431 give a better sonics than the standard 7808 regulator.
It seem this tda1543 will make cracking noise when over heat, so I reduce the voltage a bit and add a copper foil.

And I confirm that I like the tda1543 better than the akm4393 with tranny direct out.

Now maybe I might try the tda1541 next... with opa861 perhaps...
Or pcm56 if someone can tell me how to convert I2S to interface with pcm56...

Attachments

• deq2496_tda1543_2.jpg
    deq2496_tda1543_2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 501
Re: Cap vs tranny

sendler said:
Your comparison also has another variable. The transformer that is used only with the AK4393 may be holding it back.
Get rid of the tranny and try the comparison with the same cap on each to see what the differences between dac chips really are.

Interesting, I found that a good transformer will always sound better than a good cap. I am already using a Tamura tranny, so I am not sure that a cap will sound better. Besides, I use the tranny for summing differential to signal end output, which is probably better than an opamp for summing. Unless you only use one of the ak4393 pin for the output, then that would be a waste of the differential output of the dac.

Since u obviously mod quite a few deq, why don't give the tda1543 a try.
Note that tda1543 in this is unlikely to be Non-oversampling as the dsp that feed is2 to the dac has probably done some filtering already.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.